FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

12's Nationals day 5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lssyac View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lssyac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12's Nationals day 5
    Posted: 03 Aug 07 at 3:05pm

Is it possible for boats to request redress in their situation?

I thought RRS states that redress can only be given under certain specific circumstances. like the race committee did something wrong that altered your position, or you went to help a boat, or injury etc

Are they requesting redress because they feel the RO should have abandoned the race?

Just curious, in case it ever happens to us out there in the big bad windy (often windless) world.

JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 07 at 3:20pm
They could request redress if there's good evidence that the RC missed boats or got the order wrong in the confusion... Its a nightmare for everyone when that all boats finishing in a minute bit happens...
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 07 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by JimC

They could request redress if there's good evidence that the RC missed boats or got the order wrong in the confusion... Its a nightmare for everyone when that all boats finishing in a minute bit happens...

which is why I'm surprised that not all RC's opt to video the finish. Surely when it's all a bit hurly burly in a tight run into the finish (especially with the skiff classes) then a £200 video camera would help the RC, and potentially resolve some of thie issues.

Plus it could be fun to show it in the club afterwards...I know when we went to IOSSC that when they set up a slideshow of photos taken during the racing on a projector onto the wall that it made things interesting when eating dinner, doing the same onto a screen or tv with a video would be great!

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 07 at 4:09pm

Originally posted by lssyac

Is it possible for boats to request redress in their situation?

What situation? It isn't really clear from the article what grounds for redress are being claimed.

The breeze going "a bit random" isn't grounds for redress unless there are stated maxima and minima in the SIs or class rules.

lssyac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lssyac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 07 at 5:31pm

fair point, and an intersting one to speculate at. Agree wind going variable is not grounds to request redress, but those guys and gals in 12's will know the rules, maybe one will tell us to help me understand the rules better.

i see there could be grounds if the SI's state no racing in less than a force1, but i assume that is normally at the start of a race.

I've know races to be abandoned half way through because the wind has gone and it becomes a lottery, which, apart from funding, is not what our sport should be about, not at national champs level anyhow.

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 07 at 7:31pm

Originally posted by lssyac

I've know races to be abandoned half way through because the wind has gone and it becomes a lottery

Yes, that's common but different to claiming redress if the race isn't abandoned.

Post Reply Post Reply