FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Socket Button Screwsbolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlexM View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Socket Button Screwsbolts
    Posted: 17 Jul 07 at 8:18pm

Currently i have 35mm long socket button screws through my jib cleats (rs400) however i have bought some fairleads for the cleats and now need longer bolts around 60mm.

Can anyone suggest where i can find some? it took me ages to find out what they called!  (bolts with allen key heads )

Alex

scottish_tornad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote scottish_tornad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 07 at 8:34pm

Alex

what size thread are they i may have some i can post down to you

Dave

Edited by scottish_tornad
tornado GBR389

www.dalgetybaysc.org/home.htm
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 07 at 11:01am

4mm if you have

that would be great

Alex

mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 07 at 3:04pm
if you are changing the screws i would personally go and get the correct size but with a head for a flat screwdriver. these wear much less and can be tightened up easier than allen keys because they are less likely to round off.
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Ian99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 07 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by mike ellis

if you are changing the screws i would personally go and get the correct size but with a head for a flat screwdriver. these wear much less and can be tightened up easier than allen keys because they are less likely to round off.

I'd have to disagree with you there, slotted screw heads are by far the worst for getting chewed up, particularly if it's somewhere awkward to get to. When looking for screws to go on the boat, I look in the following order

Torx (Car assembly line proof, and by far the best for awkward places as you don't need the driver completely in line to get a good purchase. Unfortunately they're like hen's teeth in stainless!)
Hex, but use proper hex driver bits and not Ikea or other cheap non precision allen keys as they're the wrong size and chew the corners off!)
Pozidriv
Philips
Slotted

Apart from anything else, if you're lazy like me and use an electric screwdriver only Torx, Hex and Pozidriv can be driven without the risk of the end of the screwdriver working off the top of the screw and damaging the gelcoat

mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 07 at 8:03pm
yes but on the jib cleats they wont exactly be difficult to get to.
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
 Post Reply Post Reply