FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which dinghy for me ? Advice please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by *jdr*

This hiking business...Is this required for ALL dinghy classes ?

All entry level ones. The boats that don't are very much advanced level and you would get immensely frustrated trying to sail one straight from a yacht. How far you hang out depends on how much you want to win and to an extent the style of boat. Boats with a bit more height off the water (Phantom/Solo for example) are a bit more civilised for sitting out at 75% of max than a Laser. At 90% plus it makes no difference.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 5:58pm

Originally posted by dics

Try an RS300 if you can get hold of one. That'll easily carry your weight. Also a comfortable boat to hike from. Check out RS300.com. Best bet is to arrange a few test sails in each of the classes that interest you.

He is a beginner...a 300 is NOT a beginner's boat! Mind you, the Phantom and Blaze will be somewhat testing for someone who has never sailed before, too.

Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 6:08pm

What about a supernova? Not too sure on price or how easy it is to sail but it looks good. I think the max crew weight may be 90kgs so prehaps the rooster 8.1 might be a good choise for a year until you could get a better boat.

Edited by sailor_420
Charlie View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 6:41pm
Well as this seems to be a general plug for each posters class,

GO Finn! the original heavy buggers boat, handles well in chop, lots of fun in a breeze specially with a nice carbon mast, and they don't all cost the world.

And as an ex yachtie you'll appreciate the massive metal centreboard that keeps you upright!
Finn GBR 657 - Blown It
Laser 164635
Planet Earth: 30% Land, 70% race course!
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 10:39pm

Ok is the boat, great trainer for the Finn, quicker then a solo, lessof a handfull then a phantom (trust me i have owned one) you can fit pussy pads so hicking is easy, cheap boat, cheap parts!!!  Forget the supernova

Oh and did i mention my ok is for sale now

*jdr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote *jdr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 07 at 9:47am
Thanks everyone for advice.

I am of to my local clubs this weekend to try a few of their dinghies out. Unfortunately, they don't have any finns. So will be restricted to trying phantoms and solos.

Cheers.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 07 at 10:37am
Where is local for you jdr, I am sure some of the people here will let you have a (supervised) play....

Paul
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
*jdr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote *jdr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 07 at 11:34am
Originally posted by jeffers

Where is local for you jdr, I am sure some of the people here will let you have a (supervised) play....

Paul

Local for me at the moment is Cotswolds water park.
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 07 at 12:04pm
a goslow (solo) might be a better option than a phantom as a decent phantom is quite expensive (as has already been said). the only solution is to go to the club and talk nicely to people to see if you can have a go. another good idea is to call class associations, they should be able to organise a test sail for you.
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
dics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 07 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Originally posted by dics

Try an RS300 if you can get hold of one. That'll easily carry your weight. Also a comfortable boat to hike from. Check out RS300.com. Best bet is to arrange a few test sails in each of the classes that interest you.

He is a beginner...a 300 is NOT a beginner's boat! Mind you, the Phantom and Blaze will be somewhat testing for someone who has never sailed before, too.

Hmm. I did say “try”. Yes, but before I bought my 300 most of my sailing was racing on X99 and Sigma 38. I sail a few months in two classes of dinghy and then I bought the 300 and never regretted it.

And to be fair *jdr* with 10,000 miles under his belt probably knows what he's doing.

This thread has highligted that there are many classes to choose from and he should give all the ones that appeal to him a go. Then buy what you like. Simple.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>