FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Stats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Stats
    Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 4:03pm
I keep some of the racing class review stats on a spreadsheet...

Some interesting numbers...
The Laser 5000 has apparently unbuilt 11 boats since 2002 when the latest sail number was 5318, so that now the latest number is 5307.
The Fireballs are generous with sail numbers, they've shared out 28 sail numbers between 21 boats, while the Wayfarer is quite the opposite, with only 50 sail numbers shared round 82 new boats!
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 4:46pm
this may seem a weird question but how long did it take to notice these things????
Doctor Clifford View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 5:45pm
you must be in Shetland, or somewhere else with equally long dark cold winter nights to spot that type of thing!!
regards
Dr. Clifford

take two tablets twice daily
sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 5:57pm
maybe he is just very observant!!
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
iansmithofotley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 5:58pm

Hi everyone,

Like Jim, I look at the statistics, every year, and see many errors, particularly on 'numbers of boats built in the last year', 'latest sail number' and with P.Y. numbers

I suspect that alot of it is to do with duff information from the class associations and also dealers such as Laser. I also suspect that some of it is through laziness, negligence or just a con to give the impression that classes are more active than they are or more boats are being sold. As, in another thread being discussed, there is no doubt, also, that Y & Y make mistakes when they are 'proof reading'. An example would be the Laser Vortex class (which is a popular class at my club).  The PN for the standard rig (which is 960) and the assymetric rig (which is to be 930)  is shown as the same (960), the secretary/contact does not live at the address shown and I have no knowledge of a Vortex with a sail number above about 1222 but it shows 1249 (apologies to the Vortex class for quoting their class as an example, no offence intended). Duff information like this does not help any prospective newcomer to the class.

As Jim implies, I, too,  don't understand why proper, up to date and precise information cannot be provided.  I would add that this is not a new phenomenon and has been going on for years. 

Finally, I can never understand why some classes do not submit any information at all, or the fact that it has to be chased after by Y & Y.  If people really cared about their class of boat then the class association and retailers should be only too willing to provide information.

Ian  (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 6:11pm

a lot of classes are known to skip sail numbers in order to make the boat look more popular than they are

i am certain the laser 2000 has done this!!

Blobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 12:34am

Surely each year there is very little data to update for the classes - unless it is a development class with a major rule change all that should change is the latest sail number, number of boats at the nationals and the address of the class secretary...can't be that difficult to be accurate...

But then again, according the RYA lists, the 505 only has 12.5m2 of white sails and weighs 45kg so maybe it is!

My biggest whinge is weight - there are two relevant weights, minimum as laid down in the rules, and the all-up weight for dragging round the dinghy park, please can somebody give an honest answer to these...

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Blobby

My biggest whinge is weight - there are two relevant weights, minimum as laid down in the rules, and the all-up weight for dragging round the dinghy park, please can somebody give an honest answer to these...

Quite possibly no-one knows in a lot of cases. I know what my stripped hull weight is, but I've never weighed the boat all up. And the weight of the damn trolley can be pretty significant too!
Gael View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 10:13am
Originally posted by iansmithofotley

I suspect that alot of it is to do with duff information from the class
associations and also dealers such as Laser. I also suspect that some of it
is through laziness, negligence or just a con to give the impression that
classes are more active than they are or more boats are being sold. As, in
another thread being discussed, there is no doubt, also, that Y & Y make
mistakes when they are 'proof reading'. An example would be the Laser
Vortex class (which is a popular class at my club).  The PN for the
standard rig (which is 960) and the assymetric rig (which is to be 930)  is
shown as the same (960), the secretary/contact does not live at the
address shown and I have no knowledge of a Vortex with a sail number
above about 1222 but it shows 1249 (apologies to the Vortex class for
quoting their class as an example, no offence intended).  

While we do occasionally make mistakes , in this instance the address
published was that supplied by the class as was the latest sail number.
The PN is that published by the RYA for the standard Vortex, we mention
in the information on the class that there is now an asymmetric version
for which we do not publish a PN.

Every year we have to go through every bit of information with a fine
toothcomb - you really would be surprised how some classes send in
information which is patently incorrect, we weed out as many obvious
errors as we can and have been refining the information each year for the
past few years, but with over 160 classes that's a whole lot of facts...

The PNs are cross referenced with those published by the RYA... it takes
us an enormous amount of time to process the information, and many
hours are spent chasing up the returns. We'd love to get it 100 per cent
accurate and will keep on working to get there - the classes that send
their information in on time are a real help in this quest...

While on the subject of class returns, all the forms for the guide to the
dinghy show went out with exhibitor packs earlier this month, we need
those back by January 7 so we'd love to be alble to cut down the time we
need to chase the information and aim to get the guide as
comprehensive and accurate as possible.

Edited by Gael
iansmithofotley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 12:45pm

Hi Gael,

I think that Y & Y do a fantastic, difficult and thankless job getting the information for us all and I am sure that everyone appreciates it.  In the example that I quoted, I doubt that Y & Y were responsible for any of the duff information but were only quoting the information that had been provided. Personally, having bought Y & Y for the past twenty five years, the editions which I have always looked forward to the most are the 'Racing Classes Review' edition in November, and the ones just prior to and just after the Dinghy Exhibition (Sailboat or whatever it is now called) in February/March, I have little interest in the big boat shows. Just keep up the good work.

Ian  (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>