FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How fast????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How fast????
    Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Skiffman

[

But don't Cherubs and 12 foot skiffs compete in the same worlds?!?! So how can a cherub not be a skiff.

Its not unknown for Cherubs to be rigged as Twelves and sail in the 12 Interdoms, and there's kind of a standing invite - but then in box rule classes if it measures you can sail - but it doesn't happen every time. There's a UK Cherub rigged as a Twelve about, Draycote I believe it lives at - and its quite a machine. I've had a little yacht in it and it has a huge grin index:-)

As for what's a skiff. A akiff is I guess one of the Sydney classes which were traditionally called skiffs, which were originally sailed by working folk, not the yacht classes, and which usually have multiple rigs. In current terms they are for sure the 12s, 16s and 18s, the 14s to an extent. I'd not claim a Cherub to be one but...

I think you can usefully talk about a skiff type, which is a boat that in design philosophy etc would be similar to the actual skiffs of its era. The Cherub since 1970ish is that I'd say, the 49er and 29er too, with the slight caveat that the sliffs tend to be quite short for the crew weight they carry, whereas the Bethwaite boats run long and thin. Also the NZ Javelin and R and a bunch of other Aus classes.

On that basis I'd say the I14s up to the 80s weren't skiff types, nor were pre Farr/Bethwaite/Bowler era Cherubs. The I14s of now are, the 5 Tonner not a hope!

In singlehander the word has different meanings - ie skiff Moth is as opposed to scow.
Skiffman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 3:39pm

I think that the 29er and 49er are definatly skiffs!!!!

But don't Cherubs and 12 foot skiffs compete in the same worlds?!?! So how can a cherub not be a skiff.

49er GBR5

teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site
Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 10:46am

Firstly I like Granite's referance to a sports car.  Many call a Hyundai Tiburon or Interga Type R for example, a sports car ........    But realy!!!!!!!

OK, I see a true skiff as only the 12s, 14s, 16s, 18s + the historicals ie 6, 8, 10 ect to 18s.

Skiffs as far as I see it is a class name used for these boats that originated in the early 1900s in Australia.  ie 16 foot skiff.  The boats are not known by any other name.

A Cherub is a Cherub (Dinghy) and a 12 foot skiff is a 12 foot skiff.

A 29er is a skiff trainer but not a skiff.....  It is a 29er.

A 49er is not called a skiff, it is a 49er...... Dinghy.  A very fast high performance dinghy but a dinghy non the less.

The Skiff is an important part of Australian sailing history and I feel the term skiff is thrown about to readly.  A 49er I feel is not a skiff for example but is skiff like in some aspects.

Call a skiff a skiff and other classes buy their class names.

Feel free to flame away

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 04 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by hurricane

i met a guy who said he sailed a hurricane single handed quite a lot

he said it was fun up till when the gusts started to hit

But was he a 'large gent'

I'm 'only' 12 1/2 stone.......

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 04 at 10:16pm

i met a guy who said he sailed a hurricane single handed quite a lot

he said it was fun up till when the gusts started to hit

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 04 at 9:39pm
what about the skiffs in star wars?? where do they fall in the definition?
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 04 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by hurricane

actually they are more like 4k now so even better value for money

and with the extra cash you have u could buy an SX kit (spinny + self tacking jib) for it!!!

Eek... Very cheap 'mean machine'.  Now I wonder what a Hurri without jib and kite would be like single handed

hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 04 at 4:51pm

actually they are more like 4k now so even better value for money

and with the extra cash you have u could buy an SX kit (spinny + self tacking jib) for it!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 04 at 2:55pm

Chris,

Having owned 2 Hurricanes

1, Yes Very Quick

2, Well, not the ideal learner boat

3, Does in no way cost a lot to run.  You can pick up a competitive 2nd hand boat for 5K and that is just about all you need to spend.  New jib once a year (dunno how much these days) and a few bits ofn string now and then. 

Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 04 at 1:25pm

Hurri, you wrote;

"i think the word skiff means a boat that is

1 very quick

2 for advanced sailors

3 costs alot to run

anyone else like to add any??"

Doesn't that fit the Hurricane? It's quick, isn't it? I would have thought it's for advanced sailors, and it costs a quid doesn't it?

Na, I wasn't seriously saying a cat is a skiff. Just messing about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>