FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club rescue boat rotas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club rescue boat rotas
    Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 3:45pm

We have used (in some fleets) at Grafham the enticement that if you do a duty, you gain an extra score to your results of Average points MINUS one, so you gain in the race series BY DOING YOUR DUTY

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 3:50pm
that's a really good idea! nice one!
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 4:03pm

Lots of good ideas folks, thankyou & keep 'em coming.

We do mail out reminders, and we do give average points although the latter only 'works' for people who are interested in doing/qualifying for a whole series. In general folks who do that much club racing are pretty reliable about doing their duties anyway.

I seem to recall that when I used to sail at Grafham you had to do a Wednesday evening duty in order to qualify for that series, which again worked well amongst those who were interested in qualifying for the series.

Mike

Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 5:56pm
One strategy (if your membership is bouyant) would be to refuse to renew members who don't turn up for duties. I also like the idea of reducing membership fees for doing duties - perhaps a combination of the two would be seen as both carrot and stick!
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 5:59pm
u could at least get their mobile number so u can shout at them when u
are all drunk in the bar after the race!
sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 6:14pm
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
*GM* View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote *GM* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 6:37pm

We have different systems for rescue boat crew and for race officers.  For race officers we have a rota based (mainly) on having one yacht crew and one dinghy crew on duty - assuming there are both yachts and dinghies racing.  Mans yacht crew probably do 1-2 duties a year.  We have fewer dinghy sailors so we probably end up with around 5 duties a season.  Our fleet captains take it in turns (a month at a time) to confirm 2-3 weeks in advance that people are aware they have a duty coming up.  Front page of our website shows the next few weeks' OODs and whether they've confirmed or not.  If you can't make it, it's your job to do a swap.  Only real problems we seem to have are where sommeone is included on the rota in March and doesn't then rejoin the club.

Rescue boat drivers are more difficult as we insist that they have RYA L2 powerboat before we'll let them drive - and no where near all our dinghy sailors have that.  Fortunately for the poor sod who has to organise drivers (er, that's me actually, but only until the end of the season...) we do have a few non-sailors who are happy to drive quite regularly and we have some yotties who drive for our dinghy only Monday night racing (if any of you are reading this, thanks guys!)

hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 7:24pm

ok i thought the giving average points thing happened at every club

my club does it where on your 2nd duty you get average points this system works well and we rarely have to mess about looking for last minute rescue crews(or in the political world safety boat crews)

if your club cant fill the lists for the duties just give some time for the nice memebers to put their names down and then to fill the rest pull their names out of the hat and inform the other  member when they were

Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 7:33pm
At the club I am currently a member of you get no points for doing a duty. At a previous club with only a few boats racing you finished 2nd if you had a duty.

The problem is the small contingent who never turn up to do a duty or bother to let anyone know no matter how many reminders they get.
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 7:53pm

I think this problem exists at most clubs.  It always seems to me that the members who fail to turn up for their duties are the ones who complain about the course that is set, the time it took the rescue boats to reach them, the tea in the galley is too weak or too strong, the bar was not open, showers too hot/cold, etc. when they do turn up to sail, and then luff you right across the lake and ruin it for you both.  Yep, selfish.

I do like the idea of average points minus one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>