FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club rescue boat rotas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
hurricane View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club rescue boat rotas
    Posted: 24 Nov 04 at 8:24pm

yes good point

but it really annoys me. That people have boats that just sit there, as a person still at school who can bairly afford a decent boat. If these people that do not use their boats sold them , then the prices would not be so stupidly high

ChrisJ View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 04 at 7:52pm

I look at the 2/3 of dinghies in the park that don't get used and think "I am glad you are helping me pay for my dinghy insurance"!

MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 04 at 4:20pm

Spot on Ian.  If 1/3 of the boats in the dinghy park turned out regularly that would be brilliant.

Getting money out of some people for their dinghy park space is like getting blood out of a stone too...

iansmithofotley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 04 at 2:34pm

Hi everyone,

I think that a lot of the problems that we have in our clubs is all to do with ‘caring’.  What I mean is - caring about your club, caring about our sport, caring about other members, caring about prospective members, caring about the racing and its organisation, caring about how clean and tidy the club and the dinghy park looks, caring that members and visitors have had a good time at your club.

I think that ‘naming and shaming’ is fine but some people would not even care about that and treat it as a joke.

Personally, I think that when people join a club, then they should be part of the club and committed to it.  We all know only too well that clubs do not run themselves and it requires a lot of time and organisation to make things tick, particularly with smaller clubs.  It’s funny how it is always the same small group of people who make things happen, year in, year out.

On this note, I feel that when people join clubs, they should take on some personal responsibility and not expect everything to be done for them by somebody else.

Personally (again), I do not agree with ‘no duty’ memberships for an extra fee, or paying somebody else to do duties. The cash may be welcome for club funds but if we all took on ‘no duty’ memberships then there would be nobody to do Race Officer or Support Boat duties.  I feel that members should take on their responsibilities.  As a consequence of this the club quickly runs out of experienced Race Officers who are required to manage the racing and particularly open meetings. 

Another thing that annoys me is that many people join a club just to dump their boat in the dinghy park.  When they apply for membership they say that they are getting back into sailing and want to get involved with the club, they usually have a boat which they have owned for years, but hardly ever sailed.  They won’t sell it in case they want to start sailing again so they want somewhere to keep it.  They join up, take up a berth in the dinghy park, and you hardly ever see them again.  They have enough cash to fork out for subscriptions (which, again, is great for club funds) but they never sail.  Often, berths in dinghy parks are at a premium and new members, who sail regularly, can’t even get a space.  I suspect that at many clubs, a third of boats are sailed very regularly, a third of boats are sailed occasionally and a third of boats never get on to the water.  There is no easy answer to the problem as most smaller clubs, particularly those with small or depleting memberships, are happy to take their money.  These are the same people who never take on any committee jobs or show up for any working parties, etc.

It’s all about ‘caring’.

Ian  (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 04 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by Garry

One strategy (if your membership is bouyant) would be to refuse to renew members who don't turn up for duties.

What proportion of UK clubs have buoyant membership? Not a lot.

Lucy Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 04 at 12:28pm
I really like the idea of having a wall of shame & these people being called first if a duty needs doing at short notice. They could also be asked to do the next duty for the person who covered for them.
Fly Cherub!
pig on the wing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pig on the wing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 10:50pm

I agree it is a problem at the couple of clubs I have been a member of.

I feel a name and shame board in the club is appropriate, and if someone fails first check the board anyone around who has previously missed a duty gets the job.  Then if anyone appears more than once, a stern but fair letter from the Sailing committee should point out their conduct is unreasonable and they will be allocated extra duties the next year to make up their fair share, if they rejoin the club.  That way they have a choice, do the duties (or pay another member to do them?) or find another club.

Been there, broken that!
Binky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Binky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 6:42pm
I think no matter what you do there is always going to be some
people that don't turn up you've just got to try and keep that
number to a minimum
Jamie View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 2:09am
People who don't come to do their club duty never seem so have a problem with coming to club annual dinners, so how about - you don't come to do do your duty you pay more for the annual dinner tickets. Or if a club has 2 duties for people to do then you miss one and you pay extra, you miss both you don't get a ticket at all. That is assuming there isn't a reasonable excuse.
Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 04 at 9:44pm

My old club used to give you a third when you did safety/race officer, worked pretty well, and it only worked out unfair on someone if they did not do a duty themselves so the onus was on people to do their bit. 

FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>