FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CLUB MANAGEMENT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Xpletive View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Xpletive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CLUB MANAGEMENT
    Posted: 29 Apr 07 at 7:45pm
I could, Mike, if all I was interested in was racing. Although I do race, for me, a day having fun, practicing, enjoying the boat, without any organised events is every bit as good as a race. The club are organising more & more events on Saturdays (as well as Sundays) now, which were previously free from such activity. When that occurs, and then club and open meeting racing takes place on the following day (with wall to wall racing) those that just want to indulge in a bit of free-sailing have had it!

Edited by Xpletive
les5269 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 07 at 7:45pm
We have about 8 a year, but ours have around 120-300 boats!
49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 07 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Xpletive

I could, Mike, if all I was interested in was racing

For sure your club does do a lot of opens. But perhaps one of the issues you're up against (in terms of actually getting something done about it) is that most clubs prioritise organised events, whether it be racing or training. I've been around club management for a long time (way too long!), and IMHO the reason clubs prioritise these activities is that, on smaller ponds anyway, people free sailing soon get bored and either get into racing or training, or within a year or two move away and do something else. So if you go to your committee and ask them to prioritise free sailing at the expense of organised activities you're probably not going to get a great response.

On the other hand, at most clubs the issue doesn't tend to exist to anything like the same degree so if I were you I'd move club.
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 07 at 8:22am

Our little puddle again. We have a core group of organisers who happen to do most of the racing, we have a large number of social sailors who are happy to potter. We are very aware that the committee are mainly racing members so have recently asked for comments etc from social sailors and would they like a representative on the committee. The silence was deafening not one single response from over 100 members.

If you want to change things bring it up at the AGM or commit yourself to helping run the club. We struggle every year to find new people to join the committee and DO something to help.

These clubs dont run themselves and its always the few who come forward for the benefit of the many.

Sorry rant over

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 07 at 9:13am
Originally posted by tickel

Therefore I am at the mercy of the "organisers" who have now put me in charge of the grass cutting team !

At my club the grass cutters have a good deal of influence - when they speak everyone listens. If not they might stop!
Fraggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 07 at 9:53am

At my old club they used to try to only have an open on one sunday a month and tried to encourage opens on saturdays - the club was nearly always deserted on a sat.

This used to work reasonably well and on the days when club racing had to be run alongiside opens the open fleet would go out for a race at 11am.  The club fleet would then go our at 12 when they finished, use their start line and course so quick turnaround.  The open fleet would then go out for 2 back to back after this.  The club fleet then used the second committee boat to race in a restricted area for race 2 and then race 3 they would have the whole lake.  Very rarely had a problem with this system.

And yes I was on committee.  We did have a cruising member and a windsurfer on the committee too to try and get representation from non racers/sailors.  

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 07 at 4:26pm

Originally posted by JimC

At my club the grass cutters have a good deal of influence - when they speak everyone listens. If not they might stop!

Get a family of rabbits in. They do a neater job than lawn mowers too...

skipperjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote skipperjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 07 at 7:07pm
Strangely enough this sounds quite like my club: Burghfield Sailing Club.

I'm on the sailing committee representing 'recreational sailors'  (those who are not much interested in racing) so I have an interest here.

We welcome people telling us what they want to see happening. We're also happy to get views from members by email (there's links to all of the committee members emails, including mine) on the website and we have club forums for people to express views and comments.

The newly organised Saturday afternoon social sailing (called the Admiral's Club, motto: fun sailing for all) has been set up specifically because many non-racng sailors wanted a bit more structure to help improve their sailing and get to know more people at the club, and have organised rescue cover in place.

There are a few Saturdays in the year when we have 'restricted casual sailing' because of open meetings, but there is still normally plenty of water to sail on (the foreshore does get crowded). We haven't increased the number of these days in the last two years that I've been involved.

Sundays are often busy - its the sign of a thriving club that we get many club boats out racing on sundays, but there's areas of lake to sail on away from the racers and they finish fairly early.

If it is BSC that Xpletive is conerned about, I can only ask that he contacts me or one of the committee members via the website lnks,

Cheers,

Jay

bob jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bob jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 07 at 11:10pm
I hate to be a grumby old fart.........BUT, there is a club on the south coast
with huge fees and a small car park which seems to me to have an open
event every other weekend. I have managed to get in the car park once since
Easter. And dont mention Easter, I had to park in Portmouth ! You can free
sail any time, if you dont mind a long walk from the overflow car park a mile
away. I wonder who is visiting this weekend?
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 07 at 11:50pm
At my club. I head the sailing committee and I sit on the executive committee. I can't honestly say I'm the best person for the job or that I particularly wanted it. But I do have a passion for sailing - my sailing and everyone else's and noone else volunteered. Mug? Maybe but at least the job gets done. Xpletive, it is very easy to sit on the sidelines snipe at those who are doing their best and claim that you are just "not suited to organisational work". The only way you will change your club is from within. Every year your club officers stand for election and a majority at the AGM vote them in. Their plans might not suit you and you may think that the quorum at the AGM does not represent the body of the club. That's democracy for you. Those voters at the AGM have sufficient interest to get involved. It seems you are merly interested in yourself!
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>