FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adults protesting children

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adults protesting children
    Posted: 17 May 07 at 5:51pm
> its 'so they say' not illegal as it doesnt mean
> anything; and it avoids a protest.

If I was on the Protest Committee I'd disqualify you under rule 2 and let you take it up with the RYA if you don't like it. Its close enough to Case 45 (shouting starboard when on port tack that I'm sure the RYA would uphold the DSQ. Depending on the precise circumstances I'd also consider a rule 69 hearing with a view to DSQ from the series and a report to the RYA.
Splosh View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Splosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 07 at 6:07pm

By the way i'm not the one who done it, it was a dart sailor at alton water who told the stories!! He only shouted it to the kids on the corse who wernt racing so they cant protest anyway . At alton it is apparently only freindly racing so you have to pay £5 to protest!

mark

RS300 - 346 :D
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 07 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Splosh

who wernt racing so they cant protest anyway .

In fact they can... Or rather they can send a report to the organising club. For example if a sailor when racing shouts and swears at a passing cruiser who they think has messed the sailor about, but the cruiser has acted entirely within their responsibilities with respect to Colregs, then the cruiser is completely within their rights to submit a report to the race committee or protest committee of the organising club. The PC may then call a hearing under rule 69...
Splosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Splosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 07 at 8:02pm

Wow, you learn some thing new every day! I better tell him next time i see him !! U sound like a human rule book... are u? im not so sure if i'd wan to race you as i will probably have non stop rules and protests coming my way lol.

mark

Edited by Splosh
RS300 - 346 :D
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 07 at 8:16pm
jim is the font of all knowledge on this forum

Edited by mike ellis
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 07 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by mike ellis

jim is the font of all knowledge on this forum

Err no, not in the least. But I do read the rules. They're on line at the ISAF website. I think the last time I actually protested someone was... Well, there was an incident at the 92 Champs, but he apologised so nicely after the race I didn't fill the form in, and before that, well, never I don't think. I've been on a club PC a few times.

The key reason for knowing the rules is to avoid getting into protests...

Edited by JimC
WildWood View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote WildWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 07 at 10:14am
I have to say that when I was 14 or 15 I would have been far more keen to protest than I am now.  Having gone through the 'protest hell' of university sailing I'd rather avoid them at all costs.  I total agree that sailor need to understand and follow the rules, but if I witness or am involved in an infringment I am very unlikely to protest unless either my boat has been damaged or the other boat has intentionally messed up my race.  At the end of the day sailing is supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing, and IMHO protest hearings are neither.  Avoid the protests and beat the other boats on the water in the first place!
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 07 at 11:08am
The trouble is that is nobody ever protests, rules observance disappears. But hanging around for hours for protest hearings certainly isn't fun.
Fraggle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fraggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 07 at 1:16pm

Blimin annoying when people don't turn up to protest hearings.  I have protested twice in my life.  Both incidents involved major hull damage to my boat and neither person turned up.

I won both protests - in the first one I had a witness and it was a port starboard collision. 

In the second one it was a bit harder as I didn't say protest (I was underwater with other persons mainsheet round my neck) but the jury boat saw the end result - witnesses don't get much better.  Also incident happened just after finish line but I needed redress for next race as boat not sailable and PC told me I had to win a protest before I would get that

Surely

Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 07 at 5:44pm
In order to raise the standard of the sport everyone needs to play by the rules, this is what they are there for. I understand people do not like to protest but otherwise rule observance generally gets worse. At club level rule observance can often be poor because people do not want to protest but even at an international I have seen lots of incidents let go (lots of shouting but no follow through). However at Cascais the results are going to be really important so I would expect there to be lots of protests and those people who usually barge in at marks etc and get away with it may well be in for a big shock!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>