FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29er v. 420

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HannahJ View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29er v. 420
    Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 9:07pm
Are these boats really about the same skill level? damp_freddie on another thread mentioned that the 29er would be a good class to go into after 420 if you wanted to sail a 49er, surely that suggests that the skill level needed is higher? Granted it's an asymmetric boat and you'd have to adjust to that, but still

Edited by HannahJ
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 9:28pm
Id say you'd need quite a bit more skill to sail a 29er as it isnt as stable and is a lot faster whereas the 420 is pretty slow and things happen a lot slower so you dont have to react as fast, but id say a 420 then a 29er.
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 9:48pm

While the 420 takes a certain amount of effort to sail it bolt upright, if you don't bother it will generally hang on until a large angle of heel and not capsize. I capsized my 420 once in two seasons of weekly racing.

A 29er, by contrast, felt to me almost like a two-man 300, with very little inherent stability, and a bit like trying to balance atop a tea-chest with the lid on! You have to rely on the boat's foils for stability, and that means keeping it moving!

A junior crew at our club could race their 420 in a F.5 . In their new 29er, they were capable of capsizing in in almost weather at first! Even after a couple of months they were still usually beaten on the water by the club's (admittedly good) Wayfarer.

I heard a rumour that the RYA was intending to drop the 29er as a youth boat on the basis that it was too tricky for the average youth, but then kept it to stay in line with the ISAF. I've no evidence for that, but it fits my observation. Of course, the top crews make it look quick 'n easy, but that's always the way, isn't it?!

radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 10:34pm
Depends on your sailing style really, cruisy 420 or racy 29er (IMO)
Villan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 07 at 7:57am
420 all the way 
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 07 at 8:47am
Gotta be the 9er
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 07 at 11:37am
I think if i was small enough i would actualy prefer the 4twinky.  I always think a well sailed boat like a 505, 470, or even as little as the 420 going upwind in big breeze and big waves looks more impressive than its skiffy counterparts trying to do the same.  Although of course, when you turn round onto the downhill slide, i know where my heart really lies. 
As for skill level, initially the 29er will take longer to learn but i really do believe to get it absolutely right and going at its best, the 4twinky takes a higher skill level. 

Edited by Doug.H
Prince Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 07 at 12:13pm
29er dude!

I know what you're talking about Doug but I think the 420 looks quite sluggish going upwind a lot of the time.  A 505 looks really impressive going upwind in breeze but a 420 just doesn't have that although they do look a blast on a tight reach when it's windy!  It comes down to personal preference Sailor_420, try a 29er before you buy and see what you think.

international moth - "what what?"
HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 07 at 2:50pm
I wasn't thinking of buying either, but agreed 420s are fun on very tight reaches when the helm refuses to go dead downwind as you can with a symmetric
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
Villan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 07 at 5:28pm
Pfft.

You wern't talking enough! You knew I hadn't sailed Symetric in about a year

Oh .. And where is the fun in going DDW in light wind in a trapeze symetric! In light wind, flip out and go for the powah!!

Edited by Villan
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>