FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Asymmetric for teenagers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 07 at 10:15pm
if your on a budget you cant wrong with a laser 5000 or 4000, im 16 and i wanted a 29erxx but i couldnt even afford a normal 29er so i picked up a good 5000 for 1 and half grand and i love it. Be warned tho the sheet load on the kite in anything over a force 4 is pretty big

although if your lucky enough to have a large enough budget just buy a 29er

Edited by sailorboi
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 07 at 10:55pm

Get a 14 even if its a penny. You'll still have lots more fun and plus the nats are at the Royal Yacht Squadron this year :)

Alex

Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 07 at 8:20am
Originally posted by FireballNeil

solos beat everything in light winds even the rubbish sailors, we get revenge when the wind blows!

Be thankful you dont have any British Moths or Comets around...you thought the Solo was fast in light airs try beating one of the 2 above!
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
D-Zero GBR188 For Sale
Ex Laser/8.1
Ex
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 07 at 7:35pm

Yeah i was also thinking of the laser 4000. The 5000 looks like its a bit of a handfull for me at the moment. Where i sail there is a lake which is pretty small, but there is also the Dee estuary which is very large and also has pretty small waves. Crew weight is about 17 - 18 stone. Price range is about up to 2000 so that limits it a lot. So in that price range and that crew weight what options are available....if any?

Thanks again

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 07 at 10:07pm
This....

The Flying Kipper is a Dog design and was built in the early 90s by Richard Butler and designer Simon Roberts. In 2004 a snout was added by the original builders to enable a fully battened Batt jib to be added to the 90s rules Batt sail plan. The rig consists of a Proctor Aluminum mast and boom and amazingly light carbon fiber bow sprit. The centre board is a excellent condition Tasar foil and the dagger board pivots in an aluminum stock. This boat is fully sorted and ready to race. All the ropes are the correct length and thickness and the rig is fully tuned. All of these factors combined helped the boat earn herself a 5th place at the 2006 nationals in Largo despite racing amongst boats with larger sail plans. Another key factor in the boats performance is her weight, although not requiring lead to be class legal she is very close to the minimum weight and one of the lightest boats of her generation.

www.uk-cherub.org

For Sale right now.

Edited by Jack Sparrow
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 07 at 10:53pm
To follow on from the post above... that boat is posessed by some kind of speed deamon.
She has a slightly smaller sailplan than most of the fleet but shes stiff, well sorted and down to weight and repeatedly sailed past me at last years nationals in a boat with the same hull design and more rag...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 12:36am
Originally posted by sailor_420

Yeah i was also thinking of the laser 4000. The 5000 looks like its a bit of a handfull for me at the moment. Where i sail there is a lake which is pretty small, but there is also the Dee estuary which is very large and also has pretty small waves. Crew weight is about 17 - 18 stone. Price range is about up to 2000 so that limits it a lot. So in that price range and that crew weight what options are available....if any?

Thanks again

from what i know you should look at
laser 4k and 5k ( sounds like a 4k would be better for you)
buzz
iso (much like a 4000 from what ive seen)
topaz trez from what ive seen these boats are underpowered
also if u dont want a trapeze boat u cant beat an rs 200

sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 8:07pm

Id prefer something with a trapeze because i think im keeping to 420 and this boat would just be for fun and racing on the right days. To be honest id probably prefer a boat thats not too much of a handful and not mega tippy or hard to capsize or easy to right after capsize. Ive heard the 4000 is hard to right after capsize? Is it and how hard/easy is it to capsize it?

Also anymore ideas? Ive also heard the 500 is quite a handful (over budget aswel). How would that compare to the 3000?

Thanks

Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 07 at 11:40pm
Yea I think the 4k is a good choice, reasonably priced good fun to sail+ weight equalisation meaning you could still be fairly competive at the lower weight range. Ps Don't get the cherub simply because i want it!  I'm selling my 12 and my crew is selling his 200 so hopefully she'll be our's
I14 1482 For sale. PM if interested.
combat wombat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote combat wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 07 at 8:38am
My incredibly unbiased opinion is the B14.  If you can make it to the required weight for a Laser 4k you can sail a B14.  They are hard but rewarding and much quicker than a 4k.  They also go in light winds if you force the crew onto the foredeck.

2 grand should afford you a stiff Rondar with good sails and ally stick.  Worlds coming up soon in Falmouth, should be an incredible event and the best place to learn how to sail one. 

http://www.b14.org

Edited by combat wombat
B14 GBR 772
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>