FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Asymmetric for teenagers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Asymmetric for teenagers?
    Posted: 19 Apr 07 at 9:49pm

Hi im new to the forum and was hoping you could help by giving me an idea on which asymmetric i could get.

Ive been looking at a few boats and narrowed it down to 3 at the moment (you could suggest some others if they're the wrong choice) the boats i was thinking of were:

• RS 500 - Not too sure on this boat at the moment, if you have any info it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Laser vago - ive heard bad things about these boats but not sure how good or bad it actually is.
  • 29er - looks a nice boat just not sure how demanding it may be.

Im 15 about 5 ft 6 and about 8.5 - 9 stone. I have a 420 at the moment which is good its just quite slow and getting a bit bored!

Hope you can help me, thanks!

JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 07 at 10:16pm
29er: no contest
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 07 at 11:40pm
A 29er does look the best choice for weight, although quite expensive.

If you want a single wire with assy and is cheap why not a buzz

A little biased i know
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 07 at 11:53pm
29er got to be. I could never sail a 29er as it would of sunk but yeah for class racing nothing else!
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 07 at 11:59pm

The Vago is unthinkable - see other threads.

The 500 would be a strong contender if you want to stump up for a new boat.

As for the 29er, how good are you? One of our juniors switched from a Laser 3000 to a 29'er and despite class coaching days and a few month's experience is still no quicker than he was in his Laser 3000! I recall another pretty good junior who couldn't get near my Fireball on the water, let alone on PY. In my V3000 I made up time on three out of the four 29ers in the Hoo Freezer this year (and on both the 500's for that matter). 29ers are only quick if you're up to sailing them pretty well.

But why not consider a 3000? They're easier than 29ers and readily available secondhand. Lasers start at under £2000, while a new foam/epoxy V3k will only cost you £5200. Get a demo through the class association: http://www.3000class.org.uk/

olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 12:46am

try a twin wire boat.  i got my 14 when i was only 16 and found it pretty easy. and it is a good feeling when all ur mates are sailing 29ers and u fly past them. 

TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 8:22am
Originally posted by olly_love

try a twin wire boat.  i got my 14 when i was only 16 and found it pretty easy. and it is a good feeling when all ur mates are sailing 29ers and u fly past them. 

Second that! My 14 cost me all of 1750 to buy. And you get to embaress all the 800s you wish!
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 12:12pm
I had a Laser 5000 at about 16/17ish, brilliant boat at the time and stepped straight up from a Laser 2. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is extremely worth it. 14s will be slightly easier to handle as they are lighter and the rig won't load up so much up top sailing upwind due to the difference in weight. My only gripe of the 5000 at the time was that it was an absolute nightmare to right due to the weight in the rig. Olly and Alex have made a good point but it will also be dependant on your weight and attitude to the sport, if you are a light teenager and can get nervous on the boat, rule out the 14, if not go for it and be prepared to swim initially. Other options are 29er, then convert to XX then upgrade to 49er, or possibly a cherub or a 4000. The 4000, 29er and 500 all have the advantages of they do or will have relatively competitive fleets, so if you value racing over thrill factor, they may be more appropriate, although I sailed the 5000 on PY a lot outside class racing and you do realise stepping back into other fleets that if you're fast in something like a 5k or 14, it usually stands you in good stead for hitting the front of the fleet in other classes as your boat handling skills are high. 

Edited by 49erGBR735HSC
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

feva_sailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote feva_sailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 12:23pm
I know your more or less looking for a Monohull, But me and my usuall crew have been sailing Topcats and Hobies latly and they can get a real turn of speed.I would probably go for the Sl16 as it is a youth cat.But its reallyy up to you i dont know what they sail at your club i would go with the best boat for you with the biggest fleet at your club.

Edited by feva_sailor

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 07 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by 49erGBR735HSC

I had a Laser 5000 at about 16/17ish, brilliant boat at the time and stepped straight up from a Laser 2. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is extremely worth it. 14s will be slightly easier to handle as they are lighter and the rig won't load up so much up top sailing upwind due to the difference in weight. My only gripe of the 5000 at the time was that it was an absolute nightmare to right due to the weight in the rig. Olly and Alex have made a good point but it will also be dependant on your weight and attitude to the sport, if you are a light teenager and can get nervous on the boat, rule out the 14, if not go for it and be prepared to swim initially. Other options are 29er, then convert to XX then upgrade to 49er, or possibly a cherub or a 4000. The 4000, 29er and 500 all have the advantages of they do or will have relatively competitive fleets, so if you value racing over thrill factor, they may be more appropriate, although I sailed the 5000 on PY a lot outside class racing and you do realise stepping back into other fleets that if you're fast in something like a 5k or 14, it usually stands you in good stead for hitting the front of the fleet in other classes as your boat handling skills are high. 

Saying that dennis when i sailed at itchenor with my m12 helm were racing against various ex olympic peeps etc. And the current 5oh world champ
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>