FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Asymmetric for teenagers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Isis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 07 at 10:53pm
To follow on from the post above... that boat is posessed by some kind of speed deamon.
She has a slightly smaller sailplan than most of the fleet but shes stiff, well sorted and down to weight and repeatedly sailed past me at last years nationals in a boat with the same hull design and more rag...
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 07 at 10:07pm
This....

The Flying Kipper is a Dog design and was built in the early 90s by Richard Butler and designer Simon Roberts. In 2004 a snout was added by the original builders to enable a fully battened Batt jib to be added to the 90s rules Batt sail plan. The rig consists of a Proctor Aluminum mast and boom and amazingly light carbon fiber bow sprit. The centre board is a excellent condition Tasar foil and the dagger board pivots in an aluminum stock. This boat is fully sorted and ready to race. All the ropes are the correct length and thickness and the rig is fully tuned. All of these factors combined helped the boat earn herself a 5th place at the 2006 nationals in Largo despite racing amongst boats with larger sail plans. Another key factor in the boats performance is her weight, although not requiring lead to be class legal she is very close to the minimum weight and one of the lightest boats of her generation.

www.uk-cherub.org

For Sale right now.

Edited by Jack Sparrow
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 07 at 7:35pm

Yeah i was also thinking of the laser 4000. The 5000 looks like its a bit of a handfull for me at the moment. Where i sail there is a lake which is pretty small, but there is also the Dee estuary which is very large and also has pretty small waves. Crew weight is about 17 - 18 stone. Price range is about up to 2000 so that limits it a lot. So in that price range and that crew weight what options are available....if any?

Thanks again

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 07 at 8:20am
Originally posted by FireballNeil

solos beat everything in light winds even the rubbish sailors, we get revenge when the wind blows!

Be thankful you dont have any British Moths or Comets around...you thought the Solo was fast in light airs try beating one of the 2 above!
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 07 at 10:55pm

Get a 14 even if its a penny. You'll still have lots more fun and plus the nats are at the Royal Yacht Squadron this year :)

Alex

Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 07 at 10:15pm
if your on a budget you cant wrong with a laser 5000 or 4000, im 16 and i wanted a 29erxx but i couldnt even afford a normal 29er so i picked up a good 5000 for 1 and half grand and i love it. Be warned tho the sheet load on the kite in anything over a force 4 is pretty big

although if your lucky enough to have a large enough budget just buy a 29er

Edited by sailorboi
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 9:08pm

Get a 29er.  Great boat.  Lots of competitive yoof to sail against.  Just don't expect to sit down ever!  and you'll need a reliable crew.

It's not as hard to sail as people sometimes make out - my main problem at 78kg (with a 40kg crew) was getting enough heeling power to keep it upright; You MUST use the kite downwind, or it just falls on top of you.  Despite the looks it's a narrow boat with relatively wide wings, whereas the RS500 and 3000 are just moderately wide boats. 

They do seem to be expensive (even 2nd hand) at the moment though.  I've seen one for 3300 but at the price it may need new sails and might have gained some weight (wooden stuff inside).

Do you have 5000 to spend?  If not, and if you don't mind being abandoned by the RYA, a good 2nd hand 3000 is under 2000.

3604 ...lapse of reason
Javelin 558
FireballNeil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FireballNeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 4:26pm

Originally posted by sailor_420

Do they go in light winds? The 420 is pretty rubbish in light winds always come last in handicaps and get beaten by GPs, solos etc

solos beat everything in light winds even the rubbish sailors, we get revenge when the wind blows!

Neil

mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 4:16pm

9 1/2 stone in a 600? oh this has made my choice for next boat so much easier.

600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Alex C View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alex C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 07 at 12:59am
You'll be absolutely fine, weight is not going to make a great deal of difference unless racing very competitively. Besides you'll fly downwind. This is coming from someone who sailed a 600 for a couple of years at 9 1/2 stone, far from competitively but respectably I like to think!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>