FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Asymmetric for teenagers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
hollandsd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 07 at 6:31am

I agree with BBSC, they depower more than any other dinghy i have sailed. We have taken out my 14 in some silly winds, but works well in the light stuff.

You definitely wouldnt regret having a 14, must admit, the smiles dont wear off

They are a blast off wind.

Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 07 at 10:43pm
Depends on what you meen by light. How much in kilos? The good thing about 14s is that you can depower them so much.  And they are very nippy 
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 07 at 10:00pm
How heavy do you have to be for a 14. I think we're a bit light!
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 07 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by combat wombat

Having re-read the posts, 420 Sailor do you sail at West Kirby?  I sailed my B14 on the marine lake a few times but the Dee is the only option if you have a fast boat and it is blowing over 5 knots.

At 2000 you aren't going to get a 29er.  The B14 is a handful but then again so is a 5000 or an International 14.  All it takes is some learning and the class is so helpful you can't go wrong.  2000 is a good budget for a starter boat as well, getting you a solid boat with some spares.  Int 14's at that price may well be old and abused.  4000's are heavy and need weight on the board to get them upright. 

Beyond this, B14's aren't overly hard.  The other half of my boat was a 420 and 12 sailor and took to the B14 well.  I moved from Laser II's and found the learning curve steep but not insurmountable. 

See the latest issue of Y&Y for an excellent boat test of the B14.

I bought my 14 for 1750. And it consisted of a carbon mast, boom, pole, 2 Full Suits of sails, 2 Rudder (1 Fixed). A hull which was on weight and un damaged. And all the usual trimmings.
Oh yea and it still makes 800s look slow. My 14 always leaves me with a grin on my face :)
Alex
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
combat wombat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote combat wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 07 at 9:50am
Having re-read the posts, 420 Sailor do you sail at West Kirby?  I sailed my B14 on the marine lake a few times but the Dee is the only option if you have a fast boat and it is blowing over 5 knots.

At 2000 you aren't going to get a 29er.  The B14 is a handful but then again so is a 5000 or an International 14.  All it takes is some learning and the class is so helpful you can't go wrong.  2000 is a good budget for a starter boat as well, getting you a solid boat with some spares.  Int 14's at that price may well be old and abused.  4000's are heavy and need weight on the board to get them upright. 

Beyond this, B14's aren't overly hard.  The other half of my boat was a 420 and 12 sailor and took to the B14 well.  I moved from Laser II's and found the learning curve steep but not insurmountable. 

See the latest issue of Y&Y for an excellent boat test of the B14.
B14 GBR 772
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 07 at 9:21am

B14, not too much of a hand ful?

well probably not when youve got used to it but if its just for "the right days"....

600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
combat wombat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote combat wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 07 at 8:38am
My incredibly unbiased opinion is the B14.  If you can make it to the required weight for a Laser 4k you can sail a B14.  They are hard but rewarding and much quicker than a 4k.  They also go in light winds if you force the crew onto the foredeck.

2 grand should afford you a stiff Rondar with good sails and ally stick.  Worlds coming up soon in Falmouth, should be an incredible event and the best place to learn how to sail one. 

http://www.b14.org

Edited by combat wombat
B14 GBR 772
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 07 at 11:40pm
Yea I think the 4k is a good choice, reasonably priced good fun to sail+ weight equalisation meaning you could still be fairly competive at the lower weight range. Ps Don't get the cherub simply because i want it!  I'm selling my 12 and my crew is selling his 200 so hopefully she'll be our's
I14 1482 For sale. PM if interested.
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 8:07pm

Id prefer something with a trapeze because i think im keeping to 420 and this boat would just be for fun and racing on the right days. To be honest id probably prefer a boat thats not too much of a handful and not mega tippy or hard to capsize or easy to right after capsize. Ive heard the 4000 is hard to right after capsize? Is it and how hard/easy is it to capsize it?

Also anymore ideas? Ive also heard the 500 is quite a handful (over budget aswel). How would that compare to the 3000?

Thanks

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 07 at 12:36am
Originally posted by sailor_420

Yeah i was also thinking of the laser 4000. The 5000 looks like its a bit of a handfull for me at the moment. Where i sail there is a lake which is pretty small, but there is also the Dee estuary which is very large and also has pretty small waves. Crew weight is about 17 - 18 stone. Price range is about up to 2000 so that limits it a lot. So in that price range and that crew weight what options are available....if any?

Thanks again

from what i know you should look at
laser 4k and 5k ( sounds like a 4k would be better for you)
buzz
iso (much like a 4000 from what ive seen)
topaz trez from what ive seen these boats are underpowered
also if u dont want a trapeze boat u cant beat an rs 200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>