FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Asymmetric for teenagers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Asymmetric for teenagers?
    Posted: 21 Feb 19 at 7:37pm
Why not start a new thread, rather than scattergunning the forum with the same message?

Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
The Big Wednesday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Big Wednesday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 19 at 3:48pm
Somewhat late in the day but better late than never.   Want something more challenging than a Feva or Topaz, and the like but more manageable tham a 29-er?   The Hobie 405 was designed as the RYA Intermediate Youth Training dinghy and is ideal for teenagers, although probably not suitable for those who are adult and lardy. 

Below is a new online resource for junior sailors interested in finding out about the HOBIE 405, a performance dinghy that was much ahead of its time in many respects. The Hobie 405 was designed from the ground up as the RYA intermediate youth training dinghy, not a leisure boat with go-faster add-ons.

With great build quality, an asymmetric, single wire and PY of 1089 it  ticks a lot of teenage boxes and still offers a manageable and very affordable entry into real asymmetric sailing for younger sailors.  With competitive 2nd hand examples often around the £500.00 mark with combi, what's not to like?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/309480016377777/

johninda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote johninda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 07 at 3:20pm
yeh get a 29er.....i have one thee fast fun but u do need to work hard to keep it upright!
29er - 167
Hobie 405 - 407
sailorguy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailorguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 07 at 10:53am
Apart from being out of your budget, 500 would be great - my bro and I sail one and we are also 120kg without gear. We do have a twin trapeze kit though - lots of fun.

Before we got the 500, I tried out a 29er, and felt that although it would be great fun, we would have to put in too many hours swimming before being able to race it competitively.

Hope this helps
RS 500 (twin wire)
Laser 157607
Laser 85446
Pico 2136
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 7:52pm
My crew and I took BBSC Faithful's 14 out at the weekend it was lightish winds with a few good gusts. I'm virtually new to trapezing and we never twin wired a boat and we did alrite, only went in 3 times but i could imagine us being over powered in a bit more breeze and were proberbly 140 with gear
RS600 988
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 7:26pm

now that was a stupid post, it has been duely edited, next time o shall read the posts above.

Edited by mike ellis
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 07 at 6:42pm
i think the rs 500 is the same as a 29er (120kg) watch out with the 14, if dont think you can handle a laser 4000( you have enough weight to right it though trust me)you would struggle with a 14 especially being under the ideal weight range just adding to the problem ull face, a b14 is a gd boat but i was under the impression you needed to be heavier to handle it. If u sail on a small lake have you considered somthing like a rs200 or a hobie 405
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 07 at 9:00pm
Ahh yeah i forgot i know its out of my price range but whats the crew weight of the Rs500?
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 07 at 6:44pm
Well Sailor 420. I would say get a test sail. If you asked very nicely i may let you and your crew come and have a go in mine ( when its all put back together) and you could see if it was too much of a handfull or not.
Alex
IMO 120 kilos is on the light side. But everything is worth a go :) At least youd be really quick downwind
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
sailor_420 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 07 at 4:52pm
In kilos like 115 - 120 (without gear)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>