FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Paint
    Posted: 11 Apr 07 at 3:53pm

Hi there guys am currently revamping the 14 and was wondering what sort of paint i should use to re paint the hull. What sorts can i get etc. Whats the best way to apply it?

Thanks,

Alex

Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 07 at 4:13pm
Pink! and apply loads...  
After all, pink's a lucky colour for Alex K, innit?
Norbert View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Norbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 07 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by BBSCFaithfull

Hi there guys am currently revamping the 14 and was wondering what sort of paint i should use to re paint the hull. What sorts can i get etc. Whats the best way to apply it?

Thanks,

Alex

Not used it myself, but someone once told me to use plastikote. Might be rubbish but better than painting maybe http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/
BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 07 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Black no sugar

Pink! and apply loads...  

Probably wont paint her pink lol
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
Norbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Norbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 07 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Black no sugar

Pink! and apply loads...  

remember graphspeed? remember smoothy, that stuff you painted on all thick and  chalky and sanded back smooth, only came in baby pink. Butch as it comes.

Edited by Norbert
No. 5 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote No. 5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 07 at 6:30pm

I used international 2 pack on a wooden boat about 6 or 7 years ago and I think it still looks good though I haven't seen it for a while so couldn't swear to it.

I used the best quality brush I could find with long soft bristles and applied the paint in a Union Flag pattern to give even coverage and avoid brush marks. once the paint had hardened I flatted it out using 1200 grit wet and dry wetted with white spirit to avoid clogging and then polished the hull using International rubbing compound and then T-Cut (the stuff used on cars, it's a very fine abrasive polish). This gave a really good finish.

I didn't spray the paint on the advice of International. Apparently, when sprayed the paint produces some nasty cyanide type toxins and closed, forced air, positive pressure breathing apparatus should be used.

one drawback I found with the paint is that it was slightly translucent, so if you intend to cange the colour of your boat it might be wise to use an undercoat first, otherwise don't bother.

No. 5 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote No. 5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 07 at 6:32pm

Oh yes, make the floor arond the boat wet before you start painting to avoid kicking up dust.

Deimos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Deimos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 07 at 9:48am

If spreading water around when using 2 pot be careful that the air is not too damp. Several years ago I had a problem where the varnish two pot turned milky after painting it on the boat (caused apparently by the damp). I guess temp, time of year, etc will also have a big impact.

Maybe paints have changed since then.

I used to use pads to paint with. You get a much smoother finish (no brush lines) and gives an appearance much closer to a sprayed finish. Not noticed them around recently but then I've not been looking for them either.

Ian

Edited by Deimos
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 07 at 9:30pm

Since you've got a plastic boat you don't need to worry much about it being dry, but don't paint late in the evening because condensation makes a hell of a mess with 2 pot paints.

However don't worry too much about brush marks - you really should rub down with wet&dry afterwards.

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 07 at 9:36pm

I've recently gone over the bottom of my 4000 and I've learnt a lot, so I thought I'd pass on the single biggest thing that will help.  Before you spread on gell coat to fill any gaps sand the bottom first.  This gets rid of minor scrapes anyway and it makes it much easier to find the scrapes that have to be filled. 

This advice would have saved me a days work because I went straight ahead and filled, then sanded flat and realised I'd missed bits and so had to spend time filling again and waiting for it to harden and then sand again.

Post Reply Post Reply