FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bye Bye Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Pierre View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bye Bye Europe
    Posted: 15 Nov 04 at 1:00pm
The Flying Dutchman is a fantastic boat.  If you want to go fast upwind (as well as down) this is the boat to do it in.  Also look absolutely beautiful.  One of the most stylish boats you can sail.
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 04 at 6:45pm

I'm inclined to agree about the hull, not so sure about the rig - a bit squat for my taste - but there's not many of them around.  There are also quite a few faster boats at a lot less money that can be sailed by people of more normal strength and build.

I have sailed a Dutchman but prefer the 5o5 out of the conventionally rigged fast boats.

Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 04 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by redback

I'm inclined to agree about the hull, not so sure about the rig - a bit squat for my taste - but there's not many of them around.  There are also quite a few faster boats at a lot less money that can be sailed by people of more normal strength and build.

I have sailed a Dutchman but prefer the 5o5 out of the conventionally rigged fast boats.

Don't think you'll find anything much quicker up wind, and I think the FD lady helms, and there are a surprising number of them, would take kindly to the comments about "normal strength and build".

You can get a pretty decent boat for a lot less than the cost of a Laser.

Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 04 at 9:00pm

If you're talking normal strength and build, look at James Cole, ( several times FD champ crew) I think he's 6' 7" or so. I also hear they use such high rig tension at the top of the fleet that they don't last long, so you can get a cheap one, but you won't win. As the man said earlier, development in non-one design classes for the olympics makes them out of reach for normal people.

Shame about the Europe, it was originally a massive class on the continent, and a happy class in this country, I hope it survives.

"Romanis ite dominum"

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 04 at 9:33pm
Of course, if you read the "interesting" discussion about C##p classes elsewhere on this forum, the Europe would go straight away from olympic class to one that should be banned (and all the boats burned? - I confess I didn't quite work out what was going to happen to all the boats) from racing in British waters, on the basis that there aren't enough of them, they were designed recently and aren't marketed by a "name". I had a great few years sailing Europe172, and I wish the class well.
Jamie View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 04 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Rob.e

If you're talking normal strength and build, look at James Cole, ( several times FD champ crew) I think he's 6' 7" or so. I also hear they use such high rig tension at the top of the fleet that they don't last long, so you can get a cheap one, but you won't win. As the man said earlier, development in non-one design classes for the olympics makes them out of reach for normal people.

Shame about the Europe, it was originally a massive class on the continent, and a happy class in this country, I hope it survives.

"Romanis ite dominum"

I don't know where you got the Idea about FD's not lasting very long from. Mader boats are still going strong well into their second decade.

In Regards to crew size, yes there are big crews, James Cole being one, me another. There is also a ready supply of female helms sailing with average size men on the wire. There are also boats who sail with the girl on the wire. The technique is far more important than the size of the trapeze ape.

Just because a boat can carry weight doesn't mean that it has to,

Haggis View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 04 at 10:05pm

Worst investment since my Enron shares

NeilP View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NeilP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 1:04pm

It's quite extraordinary the number of myths that have grown up around the FD. Titanium centreboards?? Who? When? Don't last? Tell that to Ian McCrossin, whose boat was built in 1987 and who is almost always in the hunt at Worlds level. Any Mader FD built after about 1985 is still capable of winning at any level. As for the weight/size issue, I am 6ft and around 86 KG, and my helm is 5 ft 4in and 60 kg wringing wet. Jamie is 100% correct, if you're big enough for a Laser you could cope with crewing an FD. It's a fabulous boat, and in 15+ knots in a Solent chop it is as fast round a race course as most - if not all!

Neil

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 4:57pm

Yes you're right, up-wind in a chop there's probably nothing faster.  Size matters.

Am I wrong about the titanium centreboard?

Edited by redback
Jamie View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 5:48pm
I don't recall there ever having been a Titanium c/b, I do know that there was one with an ajustable trim tab on its trailing edge, bur this was banned because it would have been too expensive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>