FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bye Bye Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Pierre View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bye Bye Europe
    Posted: 15 Nov 04 at 1:00pm
The Flying Dutchman is a fantastic boat.  If you want to go fast upwind (as well as down) this is the boat to do it in.  Also look absolutely beautiful.  One of the most stylish boats you can sail.
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 04 at 10:45am

The warning about the Europe by Stefan is something to recognise.  A similar thing happened to the Flying Dutchman.  Olympic boats without very strict one design rules get developed in ways which make them very expensive for normal punters (some Dutchmen had titanium centreboards).  With the Europe you'll find the top people talk about developing sails and rig and go through several rigs and dozens of sails in a year.  To be competitive you require a sail and mast to match your weight.  Against stars with funding you are unlikely to be able to compete.  Its sad for the Europe but I suspect it will now fade away.

Boats like the 5o5, which have avoided Olympic selection, have thrived.

At least the Laser Radial has such strict rules it will survive the Olympics just as the Laser has done.

Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 04 at 10:37am

Originally posted by Brian

just dont get rid of the 49er! i dont sail them tho ( i wish!) but they are the most exciting to watch

49ers are cool...........  But don't forget to check out the new Spinnaker Tornado   Seriously quick...............

Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 04 at 8:03am

But feel free to replace the 49er if some faster, more exciting skiff came along!

Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 04 at 9:42pm
just dont get rid of the 49er! i dont sail them tho ( i wish!) but they are the most exciting to watch
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 04 at 10:00am

It's an awful warning to classes why Olympic selection is bad news.

15 years ago the Europe was ticking along nicely in the UK as a class consisting 50/50 of women and male youths moving up from Opis but too light for Lasers. It had an active open circuit with modest but steady turn-outs. Then it was selected for the Olympics. Initially interest soared but over time it became clear that the level of support the handful in the RYA squad were receiving made success in the class virtually unobtainable for anyone else. The men moved elsewhere, as did the women who did not have Olympic aspirations. Now the class has been dropped from the Olympics and there is nothing left.

So if you want your class selected for the Olympics, think hard what you really want.

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 04 at 11:13pm
I think the Europe is a nice boat but they can be costly.  At least the Laser is relatively cheap and redily available world wide.
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 04 at 4:55pm

You have also got to feel sorry for those girls who haven't been through the Olympic cycle and only bought the boat a few months ago, having sold the Radial and will have lost lots of dosh Oh well... guess there will be lots of Radial coaching for me  

Jon

Sarah B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 04 at 4:30pm

OH NO!

Don't think I'm going to sell my Europe though, means I can go for a fun sail when I have had enough of a radial!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Lucy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 04 at 4:24pm

I know some of the Europe girls and they're probably gonna be gutted. You spend an Olympic Cycle learning about the boat and just about get to grips with it and start to make progress - then all of a sudden they've got to sell up and get a Radial.

I guess there'll be alot of cheap, well-maintained Europes going up for Sale now! They must be breathing a sigh of relief though...they could have been stuck with a byte  (Joke)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>