FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice needed - odd sized team!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gasteam View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gasteam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed - odd sized team!
    Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 12:00am

Hello,

New to this forum but wondered if anyone had any advice please.

What dinghy would you recommend for a pair - both under 30 (just!) -

One of us very experienced sailor (SI), though not much racing - 5'8" about 60 kg female - after some reasonable speed and bit of a challenge. Would like spinnaker and trapeze boat ideally.

Other virtual novice, 6'4" 92 kg after some speed but forgiving enough to progress on.

Tricky huh?

Any advice please? Apart from finding new partners!

Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 12:25am

505 would be great. Quick but stable. SI to helm - tho' she'll need some extra pulleys in the mainsheet system!

Mature fleet - I'm sure other sailors would offer lots of advice at open events, esp. to a female sailor!

I believe Debbie Jarvis was pretty successful in the 5-oh's with this set-up?

BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 12:47am
4000? 400, 5000? 14?
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 10:04am

Not tricky at all - as long as the light-weight helms.  However an SI might have a lot to learn about racing so I wouldn't suggest a boat which is too powerfull.  The venue is another important factor.

You'll learn a lot faster if you avoid a 5o, 4000 or anything faster, in fact as you are a beginner it might be worth not bothering with the trapeze for a season or 2 and go for a Omega, 2000, RS Vision, Kestrel.  If you must have a trapeze then make sure its on something stable, Fireball, 470, Osprey, Javelin.  If you want to push the envelope but not use a trapeze then by all means try a 400.

Some of the higher performance boats mentioned above have lots of controls, but apart from the 400 the stick is likely to stay in the boat even if you get that bit wrong - so don't get distracted by them.

Don't worry if you aren't the correct weight for the boat - that's important if you are at the front of a competitive fleet - but for most people its a minor distraction.

Forgive the caution but it is possible to be a SI and know very little about racing and boat tune, and doubly difficult to learn if you have a novice on the wire.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 10:10am
If you both had a good lot of experience the 505 would be fine, but this is a big powerful boat that fifteen years ago was one of the most challenging high performance boats around. It hasn't got any less of a handful in the meantime! I'd feel very uncomfortsble about suggesting it for a relatively novice crew. The 59er is another boat in the same sort of category, for all it doesn't carry a trapeze it will carry the weight, but uit will be a mejor challenge.

I think you need to get an interim boat to sharpen up the skills at the front of the boat, because you don't want to buy a boat, spend all your time swimming andget frustrated. An RS400 maybe, although some folk spend a lot of time swimming in those, and I personally find it a bit havy on the mainsheet... Although I' no especial fan of the "sail whaetever is in numbers at your local club" philosophy, for an intermim boat that makes quite a bit of sense. It will be easier to sell on ther will be support in learning to sail it and so on...
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 11:03am
Elvstrom used to helm his 505 from the wire...
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 11:41am

Having owned a 5o5, I'd rather take a novice out in one on a blowy day than in any of the asymmetrics mentioned, 400 included - and I wouldn't fancy being 6' 4" in the front of a 400! Indeed, my first crew was a novice - 47 years old to boot (that wouldn't have been a problem, but he was too unfit even to get back into the boat after a (rare) capsize).

Osprey/Javelin - good suggestions, but my Fireball crew said he found the 'Ball twitchy compared to the 5-oh's he'd owned previously.

I think the point about the 505 being technical is valid, but it's also easy to sail and get started in, imho, and the tech stuff you can pick up in the fullness of time and on coaching days. Think how many dim yoofs you know who seem to have learned all there is to know about tactics/set-up after a couple of seasons 'squadding'?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 11:59am
The Osprey may well be a good choice.  And with the new mark IV's being snapped up, there should be a reasonable range of second hand boats coming onto the market. 
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 07 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

I think the point about the 505 being technical is valid, but it's also easy to sail and get started in, imho, and the tech stuff you can pick up in the fullness of time and on coaching days.

Agree completely with that, 505s have good performance and handling can be picked up quite easily but the art is getting the boat to go fast with fine tuning. I remember when the first 4000 turned up at my club and there was a bit of swimming involved from someone who moved from being quite competitve in the 505 fleet. I'm not saying the skill levels are higher but the 4000 seems to be tippier and being wider, there is more area to cross and less forgiving if you get it wrong. Also from the point of view of not racing, I'd be more happy going cruising and pottering about in a 505 than an assymetric and feel the boat is more flexible for general usuage, yet is faster than it's assymetric counterparts such as the RS400, Laser 4K, etc. Another option may be a Cat like a Dart 18 or Hobie 16 if you want a lot of speed for little hassle.

Edited by 49erGBR735HSC
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

damp_freddie View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 07 at 9:17pm

Dare I guess that you are moving off a keel boat to do your own dinghy thang?

150-160kg is in the terratory of the 505 and the 59er.

If you want an assymetric and sail in a place with quite light summer winds then the 59er will be perfect and very entertaining. It can be a handful in more wind- but it is very simple to set up and the controls are minimal for max fun. Fancy doing 9 knts boat speed in 7knts breeze? 59er.

Edited by damp_freddie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>