FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

minorca, wildwind or sunsail?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mike ellis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: minorca, wildwind or sunsail?
    Posted: 21 Feb 07 at 6:53pm
some time this summer my parents have decided to go on a normal holiday (i.e. doing something instead of going on the cruiser for 2 weeks and not being able to have a shower for five days). destinations curently in contention are vassiliki (wildwind) minorca (minorca sailing) and anywhere where theres a sunsail resort. which one do you all think is best for someone who wants to play in fast boats for a week and still be able to keep my dearest mother busy.
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 07 at 7:48pm
Minorca would gbe best fro you, but poor for your mum....
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 07 at 8:26pm

Vass is really scruffy as a town though it looks good for sailing- I went there on a flotilla, and I was happy to be there for a night, and happy to leave. I really envied the guys with the high tech kit though, so it looks good for dinghy sailors- it was very windy! Had a great hol in about '01 at Menorca (to decide if I wanted to take up sailing again), and a very nice hol there with the family in the 60's (not sailing) aged about 8!

It rather depends what the non sailors want. From Vass you can get a taxi to Nidri for example, and there are loads of other places to visit. We sailed Nidri to Sivota (next port round from Vass) on our first night of Flotilla, and took a friend off the beach holiday to help us, and Neilson organised a Taxi home for her (after a good evening), which made us realise how near everything was, so there are a lot of nice places in range for the adventurous.

Edited by Rob.e
KnightMare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 07 at 9:02pm

Minorca's Great but not that good for the non sailor.
Though the beginners there is good.

I dont realy know about anyothers.

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 07 at 6:27am
Sunsail at Bodrum? You are a little way outside the town but once there it is lively with plenty of shopping etc. - if that is what your mother would be into. There is dinghy sailing but I can't comment on how good it is.
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 07 at 10:53am
Depends what the Non Sailor wants to do, whether they are happy lapping up the sun or want somehting more interesting to do. I went to Fini with Neilson (as a solo traveller) and had a great time. There were the sunbed viewers there from 10 in the morning till 4 in the afto and they had a great view of the bay without having to move. Limited nightlife but the Neilson crew did their best also.

Depends where you fancy, what you all want to do etc etc.
WildWood View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote WildWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 07 at 11:53am
I would recommend Vassiliki.  I went for two weeks a couple of years ago and it is very good and defo has something for everyone.  There is a variety of conditions from gentle winds in the morning to nuclear blasting in the afternoon.  Windwind looked like they had a good selection of kit, althouh I was windsurfing with Club Vass.  Nightlife is pretty lively and there are plenty of young people about.  I wouldn't agree with Rob.e's comments about Vass being scruffy - it does have a definite 'surf' feel to it and isn't ideal at all for flotila's, but for a shore based holiday it is great.  Lefkas island has plenty to see and do if you're not sailing as well.  We hired a car in Vass and spent a couple of days exploring.
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 07 at 12:06pm

Having been to Minorca 10 times to get my dinghy fix while living in Germany, I guess I must like it. I think it was the standard and availability of boats that attracted me, though now it's all SMOD asymmetrics the variety is somewhat reduced. It is expensive, but maybe you need to pay for all the new kit.

I quizzed other people there reguarly to ask if they could recommend another place for me to try for a change, and almost without exception they pointed to reduced variety of boats and the need to book them at other places. That said, I haven't been recently, and the brochures of other companies indicate they may have raised their game.

As for your mother, she apparently does sail a cruiser? A family of friends of mine went to Minorca; they were all mad keen, except for the mother who was a long-suffering Wayfarer crew. They came back even keener, but none more so than the mother, who had really discovered sailing for herself in the Topper/Laser 4.7 class!

One last tip, try to go outside school hols - September seems to be best, also for the wind.

sailwithrob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailwithrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 07 at 12:19pm
Surely anything but Sunsail!!!
Freedom to sail and sail to be free.
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 07 at 1:04pm

I don't think Vass is that scruffy. Typically Greek would be my take! It certainly has the most reliable high wind of all resorts. But it is a bit limited for the non-sailor (beach is rubbish and there are only 5 shops). Lefkas town is OK and Sivota is just beautiful but you need transport.

Porto Heli? Just about the worst airport transfer from Athens you could imagine (four hours from memory) but the sailing is good, the town is not bad and the Hotel has a pool. You can go visit Spetses or Hydra (islands). Neilson staff are excellent.

Lake Garda? Sailing is best at the north end but I don't know what, if any sailing companies operate from there.

Mark Warner are good for the non-sailor but their boats tend to be general purpose rather than high-performance.

But if you want high-performance sailing with plenty to do for those who don't then come to Ballyholme this August for the Hurricane5.9 European Championships. Bangor was originally a Viking settlement and even to this day some people here still prefer Danish bacon. And most Bangor households have a hammer. Coincidence? Anyway that's the cultural part. Global warming may be a bad thing but summers in Northern Ireland are now quite good. Sometimes very good. And the sailing speaks for itself. You won't need foreign money nor, technically, a phrasebook. Just a Hurricane.

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>