FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Launching RS700 from beach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
zenium View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote zenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Launching RS700 from beach
    Posted: 28 Jan 07 at 8:12pm

Hiya,

Was wondering if you can launch RS700 from the beach with waves rolling, and coming back in??

owain View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote owain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 07 at 9:05pm
Prob best to do a windsurfing style water start. We went out in our fireball a few years in a large surf. We just got about 5 people to walk us out while we got in. As long as youve got power in the sail and the boat is flat, you should be fine. Coming in, if its onshore, which it most likely will be, your prob best to drop the sail nd ride the surf. But youve got to ask yourself, if the waves are that big, is it safe to sail anyway?
Owain H
49er GBR055
Fireball 14291
Plymouth Uni Sailing Club & Chelmarsh Sailing Club
CurlyBen View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 07 at 9:43pm
I found the 700 bad enough in a straight onshore breeze, I've swum a few times trying to get the board up or down. It's also pretty difficult to get going upwind until you can properly powered up, and I found it to be a pain to tack all the time (I'm not a huge fan of the boat!) so I really wouldn't recommend it for launching into waves. If you're trying to do it on your own you'll need a big bit of luck!
RS800 GBR848
Weston SC
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 07 at 10:18pm
Launching only requires good timing... Coming back ashore is a little more picturesque!
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 07 at 10:43pm
It's a question of how big the dumps are but at least when going out you have a choice.  Coming back is where you have to do things absolutely right and its not until you are committed that you find out how big the waves are.  The secret is speed - don't slow, down plane straight up the beach, depower and jump overboard just as the hull touches and on shingle at least you'll be surprised how little of the shine is taken off the bottom.  How you do that single handed with a daggerboard I just don't know.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 07 at 11:13pm
Or of course join a club where launching and landing isnt an issue.........long live wilsonian
Ian29937 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 9:14am
Originally posted by zenium

Hiya,

Was wondering if you can launch RS700 from the beach with waves rolling, and coming back in??

I don't have any specific problems with the 700 beyond the normal challenges everyone has in those conditions.  I don't find it any more difficult than my previous boat (a Laser).  Any particular reason for your question?

Ian 

RS700 GBR960

www.sail4cancer.org

mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 8:06pm

Originally posted by Doug.H

Or of course join a club where launching and landing isnt an issue.........long live wilsonian

but you dont have to go puddle sailing to have no difficulty launching, get a harbour, much nicer, then you can wind up the slow boats too. ( http://www.hillheadsc.org.uk/ )

600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 10:10pm

Puddle??  I think not!  Big long river, plenty of wide open space. 

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by mike ellis

but you dont have to go puddle sailing to have no difficulty launching, get a harbour, much nicer, then you can wind up the slow boats too. ( http://www.hillheadsc.org.uk/ )

I must say Hill Head SC looks fantastic (I looked at the website and Google Earth).  You should try Google Earth on and around the Medway and you'll find we have big wide open spaces too.  Even with the tide out we often get a downwind leg of a couple of kilometres and with the tide up the high performance boats play in an area which is about 2.5km wide by 3.5km long.  We also have some long distance races during the year which often take us to the mouth of the Medway which is 14km away as the crow flies.  So far from being on a puddle we have the benefit of a big sailing area mostly bounded by marshlands which are only a few feet above sea level giving us very clear winds especially from the east, north and south once we are down river a bit.  Feel free to pay us a visit with your boat and try it out.

It looks spacious to me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>