FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Windsurfing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jamesint505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesint505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windsurfing
    Posted: 16 Jan 07 at 10:25pm
I didn't know where to put this thread as there's no specific board for it but I'm looking to get into windsurfing.Now I'm a fairly big bloke at 6 ' 4 " and I know the problem with dinghies being designed for small people so I was wondering if anyone with some experience could give me some idea where to start regarding board volume/size sail size and type of board.I would be sailing it at my local sailing club to get some experience and I don't mind getting wet (obviously).Ihaven't actually done any wind surfing since I was at college and I found it quite easy but then again it might be due to the fact that the board i was using was the size of a canal barge.any help much appreciated.Thanks
505 7567
iansmithofotley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 07 at 10:46pm

Hi James,

Take a look at the sister magazine to this one:

http://www.boards.co.uk/main/index.asp

There are loads of windsurfing sites including ones from manufacturers, retailers and area/club sites depending on where you live.

Ian  (Yokshire Dales S.C.)

radixon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 07 at 7:58am
The other bit of advice is maybe to go on a course to brush up your skills. As well as doing that, you can also try out different board/rigs.

Depending on where you are, there are many centres around. check out the RYA website.
Wes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 07 at 10:29am

Windsurfing really is a get stuck in and learn by falling off type sport. You'll get better through coaching, but nothing beats learning where you can place your feet by putting them in the wrong place and falling off a lot!

When you were windsurfing before, what was your standard? How much do you weigh, what's your budget and what's your asperations (fast blasting, coastal sailing etc). I can easily point you in the right direction, but you'll also get some great feedback on the boards forum.

Edited by Wes
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 07 at 11:12am
... wind surfing, wasn't this popular a while back?  where have they all gone, was a time you couldn't move on the beach for people either rigging up or getting a breather between runs, now you're lucky if you see more than 1 or 2 out at a time

was it a fad or did the sport 'eat itself' by trying to introduce too many variants and variables and bam-boozling the public with costly kit you didn't really need to just enjoy yourself

... get the same feeling sometimes at the dinghy show, seems a lot of "new" boats get launched just to justify SMOD marketing departments existence rather than any effort to reach a new market or get more people on the water
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 07 at 11:45am

Originally posted by getafix

was it a fad or did the sport 'eat itself' by trying to introduce too many variants and variables and bam-boozling the public with costly kit you didn't really need to just enjoy yourself

A bit of both really. The "hey, rad dude" brigade have moved on to kite-boarding. Meanwhile equipment manufacturers more or less abandoned beginners on limited budgets in favour of preaching to the converted, with huge quivvers of sails and boards for every occassion. It can't be presented as a cheap alternative to other forms of sailing any more.

It's not dead but it is certainly much smaller than it was 20 years ago.

WildWood View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote WildWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 07 at 1:45pm

err do either of you guys have any idea what you're talking about?  Windsurfing is easier to learn now than ever after the development of wide more stable boards.  There are countless places round the UK coast where you can see loads of windsurfers out on any windy weekend.

I don't think it was ever 'a cheap alternative to other forms of sailing'.  Certainly a faster alternative though in the right conditions.  Maybe it isn't quite as popular as it was, but neither is dinghy or yacht sailing!

If you want to go properly fast windsurfing is still the way to go.  There aren't many boats easily capable of 25+ knots where as even average windsurfers can achieve this on kit that costs less than a grand.

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 07 at 5:37pm

Nobody disputes that windsurfing is easier to learn now and the equipment has improved. However around the time you were first going to school, early to mid 80s, there was a huge windsurfing boom and yes it certainly was at that time 'a cheap alternative to other forms of sailing', with vastly more people participating than do so today. There used to be massive races such as the Round Hayling with several hundred people taking part. All long gone, unfortunately. If you think I'm anti-windsurfing you couldn't be more wrong.

Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 07 at 6:16pm
Yup, I think I raced against 750 boards in at least two Round Hayling Marathons: you won't see that nowadays!
ssailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ssailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 07 at 1:02am
Um hellllooo, windsurfing is still rocking, getting into it couldnt be simpler, head on down to yor local rya centre, and have some lessons, the new kit makes it alot easier to learn, with alot less of the falling off!

Heres some sneaky pics from some of my comps recently... and yes im still racing a 600 when i can!

give it a go you may like it!
Any one in need of quality carbon fibre work (tillers etc) at decent prices!

Int 14 Gbr 1244 'Nucking Futs'

The New Port rule!!.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>