FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder stock investigation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Isis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by 49erGBR735HSC

I'm not sure if its been considered in the setting out of the questionaire, but know a lot of sailors who opt to have fixed rudder stocks, ie the blade does not pivot, its always locked down and the rudder is removed by lifting off the whole system. This is due to performance criteria, it reduces weight and stops "play" from the blade in the stock. Have a quick look at the 18 foot skiff class on the net and you might be able to see a fixed rudder arrangement, or alternatively browse through the 505 and Contender sites, as there may be some discussion on the topic there. We don't have a pivoting rudder on our boat, the blade is in a cassette and operates like a daggerboard through its slot, think the Stealth Cats use a similar arrangement as they have very similar foils. Reckon its the closest thing to having a fixed blade, and the cassette can be packed to get correct allignment much easier than a pivoting blade. Given the choice, would definately not go back to pivoting blade arrangements.

^ What I was thinking but was too tired to type...

I far preffer the 'dagger cassette' system on boats I sail.. they seem to give the benifits of both fixed and pivoting blades with few of their drawbacks.
allanorton View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote allanorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by RickAndersen

Low weight  5

Low price  3

Easy maintainence  3

Direct feeling  5

Uphaul function  3

Downhaul function  3

Lock-down function  5

Auto-release function  3

Attractive looks  3

I consider myself as representing Dinghy racing

Any further comments -  Low drag is a priority, cassette type stocks which follow the profile of the foil, with minimal protruding stiffeners seem best.

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 5:27pm

One of our Vortices nearly ripped the stern off thanks to grounding its dagger rudder - use with caution on rivers.

My only experience of such a dagger rudder was on a 29'er where it was so stiff it would only go 2/3 down. You can imagine the fun we had sailing like that....

Surprised the previous owner of your dad's Winder stock found it necessary to fit a lock-down, Hobbo. The 2:1 downhaul was more than adequate on mine, in combination with, as I say, the fact that the blade seemed to wedge into the stock during the last few degrees of downward travel. But that was a Winder blade and stock - maybe you have a third-party wooden blade (common on Phants)?

Hobbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 07 at 6:19pm
Aye its a Milanes blade in a winder stock (looks nice ). Referring back to the questionnaire - if the blade tends to lock itself down (as MM has suggested) then perhaps there is no need for a lock though personally i dont think having the lock as hassle so why not keep it just in case.
Contender GBR 362
Osprey 1318 - IVplay
SSC
RickAndersen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RickAndersen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 07 at 6:42pm

Once again - Thanks!! - to all of you who have added valuable input to the rudder stock investigation.

I could still do with some more replies though, espesially from the catamaran community and from the more recreational oriented dinghy and cat sailors.

So if you want to add to the investigation, please do not hesitate. It will probably only take a few minutes.

Thanks,

Rick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123