FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One, two or more of a kind racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 07 at 7:43am
Scottish Champion of Champions
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 07 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Perhaps first and best known of these was the Burnham Icicle, but this seems to have been demoted to mere class racing for MPS's 

We resurected a forgotten trophy and raised 500 for charity in the process and included the local kids in the process... I don't think you should be having a pop at us for that ...

The invitiation event had 300 spectators in the club house ...

http://www.mustoskiff.com/reports-and-news/2006/burnham-icic le.htm

If you want to get an event going then do it dont sl*g off others for running good events.

Rick

Edited by Guest#260
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 07 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Guest#260

[QUOTE=Medway Maniac]

If you want to get an event going then do it dont sl*g off others for running good events.

Rick

So you can't tell when someone's being cantankerous for the fun of it

Or is that what you're being now?

iansmithofotley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 07 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Originally posted by MRJP BUZZ 585

What about the endeavour trophy, isn't that a bit of a battle of the classes?

Not much technical interest to me racing one human being against another in the same boats, though it's interesting to compare the levels of talent in the different classes, but that's another matter.

No, it's the boat designs I want to see competing!

Hi Tony,

In my experience, most people prefer 'class racing' to 'handicap racing' or 'pursuit racing'.

No doubt someone could organise an 'Endeavour' (Champion of Champions) type event but instead of using boats of the same class, they could all sail the same class of boat in which they won their respective championships.  Would you be satisfied then?  What would it prove?

As we all know, and particularly these days with all the assymetric classes, apart from helm/crew skills, much would depend on the venue, the course and the wind strength.  Would you prefer a windward/leeward type course, a round the cans type course, several races over a mixture of courses, on the sea or inland? Whatever format or venue you choose, I would respectfully suggest that the outcome of the results would still be very much decided on the wind conditions and the chosen courses at the time.  The Bloody Mary pursuit race, for example, is usually decided by the wind conditions and the class of boat selected to be sailed on the day, apart from the abilities of the helm/crew.

At least with the present Endeavour format, all of the boats are the same and all crews have an equal chance in the conditions on the day, albeit I accept that in recent years the top crews have usually had alot of experience, at a high level, of sailing assymetric boats such as the RS 400 and many of the skills are immediately transferable to the Topper Xenon. I could go on, and ramble further, about crew weights, Portsmouth Yardsticks in certain conditions, results based on 'average lap times', etc., but I think that I have already made my point.

Ian  (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 07 at 11:26pm

I accept it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd prefer to watch the Bloody Mary than the Endeavour Trophy. I guess becasue I'm more interested in boats than tactics or techniques.

And you're right that the outcome is hugely affected by the course and the weather, but I still find it fascinating to see how the cookie crumbles, as today at the Bloody Mary.

One thing that was clear there was that you didn't want too many 'team mates' - being Merlin no. 25 meant you were well and truly stuffed before the first mark (except you might act as a blocker agaisnt later starters), whereas being one of a pair meant you got more chance to sail your own race; hence the desirability of limiting to two or three entries per class.

Anyway, on to the Boat Show 'battle in the turbulence' on 14th... Best of luck to all competitors, you'll need it - esp. those with trapezes and gennakers!

Xpletive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Xpletive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 07 at 10:49pm
What's the odds on a Buzz to win?
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 07 at 9:53am
Depends on what they are up against, how many classes are participating?
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

tornado435 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote tornado435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 07 at 10:13am

Based on the last few years, the winner will be a small single handed monohull. as soon as you get trapezes and kites it all gets a bit slow.

need to be able to change from upwind mode to downwind mode quickly without changing direction. The wind shifts are that big. also the abililty to drift for 100 yards without any wind will be a bonus.

The centre part of the course seemed like it had a swirling vortex with the wind rotating round and round then dying totally. 

radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 07 at 2:16pm

When I was at Excel at the weekend, there didn't seem anywhere large enough to host a sailing race now all the Sunseekers and HMS boats are in place.

You won't be able to see a lot unless you are invited aboard the Sunseeker 37!!

tornado435 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote tornado435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 07 at 2:58pm

I am sailing there on Friday. Match racing Beneteau's I think. It's a work thing, can't think that it is goin to be the best sailing of my life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>