FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One, two or more of a kind racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One, two or more of a kind racing
    Posted: 04 Jan 07 at 11:21pm

Does this still exist anywhere?

In times gone by, around this time of year we used to have events to which class associations were invited to send one or more representatives for a batttle of the classes.

However cold and unpleasant the sailing was for the reps, the rest of us were treated to some excellent entertainment, meeting-up and drinking opportunities. We could witness frantically planing Lasers being gobbled up on the reach by 18 Foot Skiffs, and see if the latest incarnation of the Int 14, with still more trapezes, could yet beat a Fireball  (I'm going back a bit there).

Perhaps first and best known of these was the Burnham Icicle, but this seems to have been demoted to mere class racing for MPS's . Then there was the Draycote Silver Salvers, which featured several of each kind and gave a better, averaged comparison of the classes. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, these one-or-more-of-a-kind events seem no longer to take place?

Sure, we still have the Bloody Mary and the Grafham GP, but the class representation at these is patchy, with loads of reps from some classes and few or none of others. We also have the Boat Show pursuit race, but the tower-block-surrounded swimming pool in which that's held precludes its being taken seriously .

So what happened to the 'x'-of-a-kind races, and why is nobody running them today? Maybe they required too much organisation - invitations to be sent out etc., but surely that is easier now everyone has e-mail? Personally, I'd like the RYA to drip a little of its resources into something like this for the benefit of the masses (and, after all, they have the contacts etc. already) rather than spending its last drop on the elite...

radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 10:23am
Isn't this race going on at the London Boat Show on Sunday 14th?

Will try and find more info. I think it is organised by Hayling Island.
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 10:25am
It is on there,

Click here for NOR

Racing starts at 12.00 on the day, anyone know of sailors taking part?
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 11:43am
I know of at least one buzz taking part
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 12:42pm
Two Hornets will be there.
tornado435 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote tornado435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 1:45pm

did it last year on my hurricane, Once was enough for me. I know Viki and Mike Coulson are taking their Hurricane again this year. I don't think there will be any tornado's this year, the Piggotts did it last year but it's a lot of work rigging and derigging for the one race.

The wind shifts and changes in strength are mental. Twin wiring on a beat directly at a much smaller monohull  beating in the opposite direction was mental, not certain when the wind was going to switch or die.

Hobbo View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 1:56pm
I am crewing one of the Hornets - should be good, free entry to the baot show :)
Contender GBR 362
Osprey 1318 - IVplay
SSC

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by tornado435

The wind shifts and changes in strength are mental. Twin wiring on a beat directly at a much smaller monohull  beating in the opposite direction was mental, not certain when the wind was going to switch or die.

Hence my comment about the tower-block-surrounded swimming pool.

But unfortunately it appears there are no other such races any more that might provide a better venue for a battle of the classes? Pity.

MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 10:14pm
What about the endeavour trophy, isn't that a bit of a battle of the classes?
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 07 at 11:09pm

Originally posted by MRJP BUZZ 585

What about the endeavour trophy, isn't that a bit of a battle of the classes?

Not much technical interest to me racing one human being against another in the same boats, though it's interesting to compare the levels of talent in the different classes, but that's another matter.

No, it's the boat designs I want to see competing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>