FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Out at weekend?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Jardine View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Jardine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out at weekend?
    Posted: 21 Mar 04 at 7:15pm

It was a seriously windy weekend...

We want you to tell us your stories about your weekend sailing (if you went out!)

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Phil eltringham View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 04 at 1:46pm

Six intrepid yachts sailed out from Largs yacht haven over last weekend.  Four from Newcastle University and Two from St Andrews University.  The idea was to have some fun and do some racing/training mainly for the teams that are going to the BUSA and SUSA yaching nationals next month. 

On Saturday we were greated with a brisk S-SW F6 and a race around the island of Great Cumbrae was organised All six sufast 36's started an achievement given that three of the Newcasstle boats were crewed mostly by people with little racing experience.  As the fleet headed towards milport bay on the south of the island the wind increased to around F9 (maybe 10 its hard to tell!) and the mojority of the boats headed back.  Two enthusiatic crews, however, continued and made the turn north up the west coast of the island.  It was a bizzar feeling to surf at 11 knots with just no4 up and the third reef in!   The boats finished the 13 mile lap in about 2 1/2 hours and headed in tired but exhilerated.  All that left for saturday was to head to the bar and share the day's stories over a few well deserved drinks. 

Sunday was a complete contrast, with winds no more than F2 and usually a lot less than that.  The plan was to so a series of short windward/leward courses to help practice boat handling and in the end we managed to get about six races in.  The racing was very close and there were a few cases of boats being seperated by only a couple of seconds on the line.  Baot handeling improved across the fleet and there were a lot of smiles as people headed in at the end of the day.  It looks like this will become a bi-annual even for Newcastle Uni S.C. (the other trip being in October) and people are alredy looking forward to it. 

Thanks must go to Sunsail for letting us loose with their boats, and also to Paul Jeffes and co. for organising the racing for us.  I hope other people had a good time if they made it out.

Below is a picture taken between races on the Sunday (I dont think there are any of saturday unfortunately but if i find some i will post one)

between races on sunday NUSYC at Largs

Haggis View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 04 at 11:53am

Looks like a typical Largs to me, Wet and Misty and in a totally different weather pattern to the rest of the country.

Did you lose your life savings buying a coffee at Nardini's?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 04 at 1:43pm

Luckily not, (not sure if it was even open) people had been organised (as all good students are) and brought a healthy supply of tea, coffee and alcohol!!

We did however take over most of the downstairs of regattas untill closing time on saturday night, not quite sure if the locals knew what had hit them. 

jaysea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaysea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 04 at 6:01pm
Sunday morning was dull and windless, but by 0830 it had begun to
blow. The last race of the season started at 1010 in a high three, and we
made a good start, third over the line. No, second, first boat's been
recalled. No, first, another recall. Seven crew, working well, out in front.
Once round the course, keeping warm by working hard (nothing like rapid
spinnaker packing to beat the chill) Rounding a downwind mark, just
dropped the spinnaker, when bang - almighty jibe, high side becomes
low side, that was a header - no, is that our rudder I can see? Sheared
off stock at the top of the blade.

DNF but got home, with rudder recovered by darling tow boat who gave
up her race to help.

Might get out on boxing day JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon(' ')
Life is a journey. All journeys start with a single step. Whoops, tripped. Pick yourself up and start again!
Pete Cooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pete Cooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 04 at 6:48pm
On Sunday I was sailing out of Kip, just North of Largs, great breeze, having a good time until I noticed that my floorboards had started floating .  My boat is now out of the water for a couple of months.
Lucy Lee View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 04 at 9:44am

[QUOTE=jaysea]Rounding a downwind mark, just
dropped the spinnaker, when bang - almighty jibe, high side becomes
low side, that was a header - no, is that our rudder I can see? Sheared
off stock at the top of the blade. [QUOTE]

We lost our rudder gantry . Upwind on the last lap, having had a really storming race, helm notices that the rudder stock is feeling a bit 'funny' and trying to spit him off the side of the boat. Turns to me and says 'we need to sort that out on the next tack'.  2 seconds later 'shall we ta..' CRUNCH and in we go to windward as the boat luffs over on top of us.

Managed to salvage all the parts and sail to within walking distance of the ramp.

The question is, will we be doing the christmas shopping or fixing the gantry on Saturday?

Edited by Lucy Lee
Fly Cherub!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 04 at 10:32am
Its gotta be the rudder every time!!
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
 Post Reply Post Reply