FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Projection 762 Help please?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 86>
Author
brys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote brys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Projection 762 Help please?
    Posted: 13 Nov 06 at 10:46am

I have recently purchased a Projection 762.

I am appealing to any current owners to get in touch by PM.

I am trying to ascertain if a class network/association exists.....and if not try to establish a virtual association to act as mutal support network. We might end up  by restablishing a group who can organise a class regatta.......

I would also like to hear from any previous owners of Projection 762s as to any successful tips and techniques they might have employed when sailing them. (rig settings and tensions etc.)

Looking fwd to hearing from Projectionists past and present.

Never enough time for sailing
garth weaver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote garth weaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 06 at 9:22pm

Good to hear from you Brys and I am sure you will enjoy your 762.

I am Projection owner based in Falmouth Bay where there are 3 of us, with others showing interest.  First season in my boat and considerable improvement needed, but they are a fun boat with great downwind performance - remember to sit well aft.

I don't know of any Class Association, but would be interested in joining one and attending class regatta - if we got 6+ boats together we might be able to arrange a Class in Falmouth Week 2007.

Look forward to hearing from you and where do you sail?    

DOUGk911 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote DOUGk911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 06 at 10:40pm

I bought one a few weeks ago after a long search ,sailing out of Royal Northumberland YC, at present doing Tyne bridge winter series , seems to sail well , lots of potential once we learn more ,

cheers , Doug . K7632 R

peter7623 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote peter7623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 06 at 6:45pm

Projection 762

Yes, we definately need a simple web site based class association, for information sharing, & possibly an event.

I sail projection 7623  Pink Gin in falmouth and have done for 2 years. Also in falmouth are 7620 and7621,  Big Purple  &  Miss Piggy. Garth who sails big purple has already replied to your post. All are regularly raced in IRC, They are competative in IRC, being overall top boat in Royal Cornwall Y.C. points series this year & 2nd & 3rd in Falmouth week,as well as much more fun than most IRC boats.

Do you have the expertise & time to do a simple web page? I imagine most people thinking of getting a projection 762 google the name,  so if we got  "projection762association.co.uk" or similair most people would find it. I think any volunteer should step foward! Currently google gets to goacher sails, who make good projection sails, the builder, and the old owners site for "Big Purple" before Garth bought her.I do think we should try to improve this and have a class presence.

Peter
TimC View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 06 at 3:35pm

Hello Guys

I've just bought a proj 762 myself! It's GBR 7633R (formerly "Purple Projection"), built in 1998. Just had the chainplates changed on it and will be putting her in the water to race over christmas - really can't wait.

Will be asking for loads of advice soon I'm sure!

cheers

Tim

Edited by TimC
J92s GBR 9224R "Upstart"
twitter.com/upstart_racing
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 06 at 8:49pm
Hi all,

I'd like to ascertain the level of interest amongst projection 762 owners and crews alike as to the class becoming one-design.

Simply - is there any interest?
       - do you feel the class would be better/worse for it?
       - do you feel it would attract an increased number of people to the class?

Let me know what you all think.

Holly

Edited by Holly
TimC View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 06 at 12:45pm

Hi Holly

I'd see no harm in the boat being one design though it wouldn't make much difference to me personally as I sail my boat under IRC with no real opportunity to race against other projections.

Edited by TimC
J92s GBR 9224R "Upstart"
twitter.com/upstart_racing
brys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote brys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 06 at 12:01pm

Hi Holly,

I understand that there have been thirty or so Projections built over the years.

Most have been similarly fitted out but I don't think the designer or the origional owners ever really considered that they should adopt strict one design rules for the boat. It seems to me that one of the attractions of the class in the early days was that owners could experiment  under CHS and latterly IRC, and play with their ratings a fairly inexpensive way.  There are at least two keel forms to my certain knowledge. At least three lengths of Spi pole, assymetric as well as the more common symetric kites, a variety of sail cloths for the very variable "white" sail wardrobe.and that is before you look into the hull fit outs, forward bunks/bouyancy compartments, or open hull fwd of the mast etc, etc... Deck hardware "improvements" over the years....

I think that to try now to steer a great fleet of super boats into a one design straight jacket is like closing the stable door........There are after all so many Manufacturer lead One Design boats available, if pure OD racing is what you crave.

There is however every good reason why we as a group of owners of 762's should try to get together on the water for a regatta.

I guess we have all faith in the IRC system.  We should not be afraid therefore of meeting up and racing under the handicaps we use against other types of boat.

I have to confess that I have not yet sailed my boat. Having recently purchased it. However I intend to race it under IRC on the Essex coast at West Mersea in 2007 and hope to meet up with at least two if not three other Projections over the course of the season in local Sail East regattas. Cannot wait!

Never enough time for sailing
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 06 at 8:07pm
Ok - it would seem that most of the projections are only raced under IRC and I suppose in general the ratings are so similar you are effectively boat-on-boat racing anyway.

We currently have 4/5 projections on the River Medway (Kent) and I know of two that compete in the Sail East series though one of which is at present for sale - and is so for the reason that they are so uncompetitive on IRC in comparison to other larger boats such as the X332s against which they are pitched.

My only point is the projection 762 is a relatively cheap, quick, little keelboat (compared to the J-boats and others of a similar calibre) and I for one know of several other people that would go out and buy one if only they had strict boat-on-boat racing....
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 06 at 11:19am
I can't think of an instance where a boat that didn't start as an OD became one. The reason is that owners have to be pretty committed to the idea in order to shell out for new sails and whatever else may be required.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 86>