FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old man looking for singlehander!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adamoki View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Adamoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old man looking for singlehander!!
    Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 3:12pm

Aswel as looking for my daughter im looking for a singlehander for myself. Im 53 have been sailing since i was 8, weigh 10 - 11 stone, small about 5ft 5" and lake or tidal sailing.

I'd like to have a boat i can sail in handicap races as theres nothing at my club thats decent to race in.

A boat that i wouldnt have to do alot of sitting out on would be great! Anyone got any ideas? I used to be able to sail any boat but now my backs stopping me. Hope you can help guys!!

420's all the way!
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 5:41pm
The ultimate not much sittinmg out boat for the mature sailor is of course the International Canoe, which fits most of your requirements very well provided that you are prepared for a steep learning curve and a fair bit of swimming while you're learning.
tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 6:03pm
At the risk of banging on the Byte might just work for you as well.  I weigh just under 11 stone which is around the top of the competetive weight limit. The way the rig is so controllable means that all you need to do is to pull on more cunningham/let the travel down if you feel you having to work too hard! Also the boom is high for a singlehander which will help if your backs giving you jip.  And if you get a couple for the family.....instant fleet racing.  the Byte has an incredibly diverse bunch of people sailing it and since the introduction of the CII rig is on an upward climb.  If you need anymore info or want to find someone local to try and sort out a test sail please PM me
I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
Adamoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adamoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 8:01pm

yeah i have no idea of a budget though probably 1000 ish as looking for other boats so cheap and easy to sail.

Anymore suggestions??

420's all the way!
les5269 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 8:10pm
Again, how about the supernova? have no idea about price, but they look good boats to sail
49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 06 at 6:34pm
Streaker
Adam.s View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adam.s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 06 at 12:48pm

How about a solo or lightning

stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 06 at 4:54pm

a bit too light for the solo really

Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 06 at 5:08pm
Lightning's are good boats. Carbon/glass top section of mast to let those big gusts out of the BIG sail.
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 06 at 6:05pm

Cheapest and easiest option might be a laser radial - with a full size sail for not very windy days.

The byte CII is probably nicer, but not so cheap or so easy to find.

Or if you really don't want to sit out ... a comet maybe.  Bit slow but well mannered and well made.

Edited by NickA
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>