FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sponsorship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sponsorship
    Posted: 08 Dec 04 at 6:01am

Hi Sailor Girl,

You are obviously still at school.....  My advice would be to do a Degree in Marketing when you finish school and apply what you learn to finding a sponsor.  Also study up on big boats and when you finish, find a job in Marketing within the Marine industry.  You can use your contacts in the media to also help promote your campaign.

My crew is the Marketing manager for SeaWind Catamarans and his skills and contacts have come in quiet usefull.

Also when you get going you should prepare a

- Proposal, hard copy to initally send them

- Powerpoint presentation to show them when you meet with them  (bring own lap top).  Include a video in this.  And maybe give them a copy on disc.

Follow up with them after the meeting.

Important to remember that you should not make yourself look like a charaty.  Show them you have something to offer......  ie publicity.  You must convince them that investing in you campaign will increase their sales.

Should also as mentioned above...  send out press releases when ever you do something.  Both to them and the media.

Also can arange a corporate day where you can take you sponnsor out for a days sail (maybe a charter yacht and maybe cruising around one of your major regattas)

Wear their merchandise at regattas and sailing functions

Gifts for the sponnors such as a team T-shirt or a framed photo or video of you or your team in action.

Create a website and post up to date results, pics, what your calander is, and most important, your sponnsors logos and links to thier web sites.

Hope this is of some help.

Also check your Private Messages

sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 04 at 6:44pm
thankyou
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 04 at 7:08pm

how hard is it to get sponsorship? do you have to be unbelievably good at sailing or just good at writing letters?

Edited by Brian
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 04 at 7:35pm
You do need to be VERY good.  There is not enough money available for the planks at the back.  However if you sail an Olympic class you can do the Holt series.  There is cash prizes for non funded sailors.  But you have to be very very good to win it.
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 04 at 8:41pm

Originally posted by bigwavedave

.  There is not enough money available for the planks at the back. 

plank thats brian!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 04 at 9:23pm
oi! dont be horrible!! poor boy!
Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 04 at 5:34am

Don't have to be the best sailor but must be good at promoting yourself and prove you will be great at promoting them.

Be prepared for ALLOT of knock backs.  It can realy kill your confidence but keep persisting.  This is normal and even the pro's go through this.  You will find that you will spend more time searching for and looking after the sponsors than you sail.

When successfull, realy look after your sponsor.

Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 04 at 3:54pm

First of all good luck with funding sponsorship, however there is plenty of time between now and then to generate funds yourself and if you get sponsorship well that is a bonus (a new CII rig perhaps)! You do not want to rely on getting sponsorship and miss going to a great event…

When I was at University I used to coach every day possible! The only racing I did was the ‘Qualifier’ events and one week a year (National or World Championships, both if I was very lucky). Coaching kept me out on the water and I feel has taught me a lot as well as helping me raise funds. Try working at lots of different venues and with different classes and it will certainly help your own sailing.

As for getting to the event you can do things on the cheap. Try and work with two or three other people. You can easily do the drive in one hit (or maybe sleep in the car for one night) when you get there sleep in the car for the championship (I have a bed in the back of my van which makes things a bit more comfortable) or bring a tent. If it gets cold (unlikely in garda) chuck your under cover over the top of the car to provide extra insulation. Remember catch the ferry on fumes and come back with a full tank of fuel (as it is much cheaperr on the continent, especially Luxemburg)

Better still (assuming you can drive by the Europeans) take someone else’s boat for them, covering your transport costs. Most fleets have people who are money rich and time poor and would be happy for someone (time rich and money poor) to take there boats for them and collect them for the airport.

hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 04 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Jon Emmett

I have a bed in the back of my van which makes things a bit more comfortable)

ok i know alot of sailors with converted vans, what about best van ??

would people like to post pictures

and the other users can rate them!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 04 at 4:45pm
ok, thanks for the advice etc! much apreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>