FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brits in China at the Pre-Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
s_squirrel View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote s_squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brits in China at the Pre-Olympics
    Posted: 21 Aug 06 at 2:24pm

Hey, check out the new web site from the RYA that is covering the pre-Olympics. Great interview with Ben Ainslie, back in the Finn for the first time this year! www.skandiateamgbr.com/2006preolympics

laser47 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 06 at 6:26pm

who thinks he'll compete in 2008 or is he streaching himself too thin

Contender 541 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 06 at 6:31pm

I think the next couple of regatta's for Ben will decide if he can be competative having had time away from the Finn. 

I would put money on Ben wanting to compete, the question is can he??

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Post Options Post Options   Quote s_squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 06 at 12:55am

I always thought I would be willing to bet my house on Ben winning Finn regattas, but now Ed Wright is on form and regularly knocking in top three performances I am not so sure.

I suppose we will see this week whether Ben still has it...

Post Options Post Options   Quote s_squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 06 at 12:15pm

Well, results from the first 2 races are up and it appears Ben hasn't lost the touch - 1,2 !!

Not bad for his first Finn regatta since the 2005 Gold Cup.

Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 06 at 12:47pm
I believe there is absolutely no doubt Ben will be in China is 2008! Ed is a great sailor but Ben is a legend...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 06 at 1:06pm

Even though ben hasnt been in the finn for a while lets face it, you certainly dont get worse at sailing through doing america's cup stuff!

BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 06 at 5:41pm
Y do we even have to ask if ben will be there? He was my idol for ages when sailing a laser. And to make the transition from laser to finn  then winning at the next olympics isnt an easy achievment! 
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 06 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by Jon Emmett

I believe there is absolutely no doubt Ben will be in China is 2008! Ed is a great sailor but Ben is a legend...

Must be hard to motivate yourself to campaign a Finn if you are British.

If I was Ed I'd look for another class ... the odds just look too bad to bother.

Rick

Bruce Starbuck View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bruce Starbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 06 at 6:53pm

The same applies to most of the other Olympic classes though. If you sail a 470, you'd have to become better than Rogers and Glanfield to go to the games. If you sail a 49er, you'd have to displace Draper and Hiscocks from the top to go. I don't think the Finn is any different to any other Olympic class in this respect.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>