FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sailing Clubs In Plymouth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Al Cummings View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Al Cummings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailing Clubs In Plymouth
    Posted: 07 Aug 06 at 7:33pm

Hi Guys  - I am about to move to Plymouth from Fareham.  I am in Hill Head Sailing Club at the moment, sailing an RS Feva with my kids (12 and 9).  Looking for a family friendly sailing club down that part of the world.  Can anyone suggest a good club?  Thanks  Al

les5269 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 06 at 8:03pm
you need to talk to 49erGBR735HSC (aka dennis) he's the guy in the know down there  

Edited by les5269
49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country

Post Options Post Options   Quote Al Cummings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 06 at 9:34pm
Thanks Les - 49erGBR735HSC (aka dennis) are you out there?
Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 06 at 9:38pm

He will be, he is on here most days

Do a search and PM him if you have no luck

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 06 at 9:59am

When I was at Uni i was a member of Royal Plymouth Corinthian YC They were pretty friendly, the club was split into yachties and dinghy-ists and spots in their dinghy park always used to go quick.  But phoenix warf round the corner is pretty good and alot cheaper than Queen Annes Battery Marina.  Don't know what the score is with Mountbatten now but that may be worth a sniff aswell.  Bit of a longer drive or a water taxi though.

Blimey forgot Mayflower at phoenix warf.  Cheaper and not as nice a biulding as RPCYC but still nice enough.  They all used to combine for racing.

Edited by tack'ho
I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
Jalani View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jalani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 06 at 2:46pm

When I was in Plymouth 30 odd years ago , Mayflower S C was THE dinghy club on Plymouth Sound. They had some of the best dinghy sailors in the South West and were an incredibly friendly and helpful bunch. Plymouth Week was a 'MUST DO'.

Happy memories!!

Glad to hear they're still going but disappointed that you almost forgot them tack'ho !

Far too old to still be doing this......

Stealth F16s "White Rhino" GBR527 & "Yeah Baby" GBR538
Sarah B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 06 at 10:25pm
Depends where you will be living in Plymouth. There is really good dinghy sailing at Torpoint (across the Ferry from Plymouth), Saltash (across the bridge) or Cargreen (a bit further up the river Tamar). All are brilliant clubs with good dinghy racing (not quite Solent size fleets but competitive & friendly) and also all run cadet evenings/courses. There is also Plymouth Youth Sailing run out of the Mountbatten Centre. If you need any more info, just PM me. I am from that neck of the woods!
(Follow my www link!)

Edited by Sarah B
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Al Cummings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 06 at 1:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Al Cummings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 06 at 1:40pm
Thanks to all of you for the info on Plymouth sailing clubs.  Gives me plenty to go on when I get down there.  If you see an orange hulled Feva afloat (last years Southampton Boat Show display) give us a wave.  Al
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 06 at 11:38pm
Might also be worth looking at www.ppsa.org.uk , they deal with most of the racing and events carried out in Plymouth Sound. Wednesday nights seem to be the nights for racing on the Plym esturay, both the Youths from Mount Batten and boats racing with Royal Plymouth Corinthian were out tonight...... The other clubs I mentioned in the e-mail are still worth looking into, but on the Plym side, the most active for racing seems to be with the Royal Corinthian. The beauty of the Plymouth area is that there are quite a few clubs within a very short sailing distance of each other and all will let you take part in racing with quite a low entry fee, for instance you could choose to keep your boat at one club for the training benefits for the kids ie cadet groups and be able to take part in the other clubs' racing series. So far we've found every club down here really friendly to new members.
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>