FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bell Flyer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bell Flyer
    Posted: 12 Aug 06 at 4:09pm

Looks very nice, Dolf, whatever the detractors say. Like a Cherub for grown-ups, actually.

Where in the Netherlands do you sail? I used to race regularly on the Braassemermeer, tho' my old club, Netherlands International Yacht Club, Woubrugge, is now defunct - victim of a property developer alas....

Edited by Medway Maniac
Bumble View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 06 at 5:18pm
Are plans still available for it?
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 06 at 7:49pm
Excellent job Dolf.  Still looks great (and red as well).  Marvellous.

cvlsc96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvlsc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 06 at 11:17pm
Thanks for posting those photographs Dolf - your boat looks very similar to mine. Bells obviously had a lot of red paint in stock.  It's useful to see how your control lines are laid out.    All I need now is a new rudder assembly.  The one that came with the boat has just about collapsed.
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 06 at 11:41pm
Dolf

My apologies for spelling your name wrong, as someone who is normally used to people spelling my name as Ian rather than Iain I should know better!!!!

Your flyer looks to be in truly excellent condition, again each to thier own but that is undoubtedly one good looking boat!

Enjoy!

Iain
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 06 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Bumble

Are plans still available for it?

If you go to the International Canoe Forum, in "Latest Developments", you'll see some posts from Roland Whitehead, the Bell Flyer's designer. The forum supports PM'ing so you should be able to get him there.
cvlsc96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvlsc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 06 at 1:17pm

Sailed the boat for the first time on Saturday from Oxwich Bay on the Gower.  The wind was strong and gusty which made it "interesting".  She sails well enough but there were a few issues that I need to sort out.....

1) The toestraps are not easy to find in a hurry.  Because the boat is so open the straps tend to lie close to the floor.  I may need to put some semi-rigid webbing in place.

2) The rudder resonates at speed.  I've known this happen in daggerboards before and I've always just raised them until it stopped but I can't raise the rudder because it pivots.  I'll probably need to chop a few inches off (it is an exceptionally long blade).  Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

3) I seemed to be getting a lot of weather helm - I'm not sure whether this was connected with the rudder problem above or whether it's caused by the position/rake of the rig or something else.  Normally I'd expect to rake the mast further forward to correct this but to my eye the mast already looks pretty vertical.  It's possible that it may also be due to the way we were sailing the boat because I had a novice crew and the wind was more than enough to support his 14 stone on the wire upwind so I was being pretty tentative.  Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

4) The mainsheet swivel base and cleat have a very nasty habit of spinning to leeward if you relax the tension on the tail of the sheet.  This makes it difficult to uncleat when a gust hits. I'll need to play around with the fitting to correct this.

Apart from this everything was fine - no leaks, sails are all in great condition and the trailer rides well, the whole package looks very smart on the beach.  Not bad for £500.  Looking forward to trying it in a lighter breeze so I can get a better feel for the boat and see how she goes under spinaker.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 06 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by cvlsc96

2) The rudder resonates at speed. I've known this happen in daggerboards before and I've always just raised them until it stopped but I can't raise the rudder because it pivots. I'll probably need to chop a few inches off (it is an exceptionally long blade). Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

Try polishing it. Its usually reckoned to be to do with some sort of asymettry, but just a really good polish etc might be enough to reduce the effect. I would be wary about shortening it, probably better to put up with the noise.

Weather helm

Sail it flatter. No, flatter than that... If its still got weather helm when heeled to windward is the only time to be concerned. Also make sure that its actually weather helm - tiller needs to be appreciably ff the centreline in order to steer a straight line - as opposed to just side load on the rudder which is where the rudder tugs on your hand but the tiller is central in the boat to go straight. This latter is on balance a good thing.

Edited by JimC
Worthy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Worthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 06 at 10:20pm

2) The rudder resonates at speed.  I've known this happen in daggerboards before and I've always just raised them until it stopped but I can't raise the rudder because it pivots.  I'll probably need to chop a few inches off (it is an exceptionally long blade).  Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

Try sanding down the trailing edge to a point as sharp as you can, it worked wonders for me.

It is an old bar tale that making a square trailing edge works, sharp is good!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234