FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

experience

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
tack'ho View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: experience
    Posted: 09 Aug 06 at 11:23am

Originally posted by Villan

They can use the system a little like a GPS ... see which of the arials around you that you are closest too, and triangulate your rough position from them.

Nothing like GPS actually, which is a range based reciever driven system and threfore triangulates nothing.

I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 06 at 5:50pm

how do people know so much.

wait a second, why do people bother to find out this stuff?

not that im complaining about the mass of useful knowledge i can glean from this forum

Edited by mike ellis
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 06 at 8:20am

If a quarter of the information in my brain was useful, I would indeed be a wise and rich man!!

If only it was possible to retrieve the information I know I know, when I want it and not 3 hours later when I am in the pub

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 06 at 8:49am

Originally posted by mike ellis

wait a second, why do people bother to find out this stuff?

In my case, there is a long story about whether keelboat class rules and/or sailing instructions should require VHFs for racing a mile or two offshore, or whether (as I argued) mobiles are an acceptable subsitute. I was involved in framing such rules at the time. It was asserted that mobiles are not a subsitute because the coastguard cannot use them for position finding. At the time I accepted that at face value but it appears to be 100% wrong.

tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 06 at 9:42am
I believe it is quicker for the coastguard to DF a VHF signal, but there DF kit aint that accurate and that close inshore you may only be in LOS of a single mast. which means that they will only get a bearing to look along.  You can't beat orange smoke flares and radar reflectors if you want to get spotted during the day.  One of the main benefits of VHF is you can talk to the people coming to rescue you.
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 06 at 12:51pm

Is it the coastguard who knows where your mobile is calling from or the Mobile company?  And if your phone is only being received by 1 cell I think the area identified might be quite large!

Garry

Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
KennyR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 06 at 1:03pm

Guess the originator knows by now - but Irvine harbour can be treacherous at times. Where the two rivers meet at right angles[near the harbour entrance], there have been reports of substantial whirlpools forming. Not Corryvreckan size perhaps - but big enough to get small boats into problems. Add to that, the narrow river size at low water, the [at times] monster waves at the harbour entrance and the local neds throwing beer cans at you and Irvine can be well dodgy! A couple of power boaters were killed there a few years ago when they went out of the harbour entrance in a gale.

Better to go to Troon [north shore], Prestwick or Largs

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 06 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by Garry

Is it the coastguard who knows where your mobile is calling from or the Mobile company?  And if your phone is only being received by 1 cell I think the area identified might be quite large!

The second point is true but the central Solent is hardly the back of beyond. Regarding the first point, I am told by people involved in Mountain Rescue that they can readily obtain triangulation data for emergency mobile callers. I don't see why the coastguard would be any different.

mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 06 at 5:16pm
the DF equipment on lifeboats works well enough. 1st hand experience, you cant beat it.
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 06 at 9:07am
That'll be cause the LOS range on lifeboat is relatively short so the +/- errors don't grow too big.  As mobile masts are more tightly spaced than the VHF masts you get more inputting into position calculation and, generally, better angles of cut.  So near any populated shore you are unlikely to be only in one cell.  Main catch is the range, VHF masts are taller so have better range.  Of course if you know where you are, like all good mariners should, it doesn't matter a jot what method you use to contact the coastguard as long as you do it while you still can!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234