FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Propulsion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tackhoonhol View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tackhoonhol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propulsion
    Posted: 21 Jul 06 at 4:58pm
Minefield. get rid of the rule!
To light for a laser, not gonna win the Olympics, sail a decent boat....Sail a Byte
Isis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 06 at 12:01am
totaly irrelavant as my knowlage of the rules is very poor from too long away from regular racing but ive been moaned at once of twice for rocking the sail going downwind in the moth as apparently sailing a 33cm wide boat is no excuse for being wobbly in a race situatuation
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 06 at 10:33pm
From talking to a jury boat after i got flagged on a run at a laser inlands this is the response i was given. 
In a big fleet a jury boat will be looking for noticable repetative motion.  If a laser rocks once or twice downwind then attention paid will be minimal.  If however they see a boat noticably rolling more than the surrounding boats then they will get flagged. 
At the inlands I got hit by a gust i didnt see coming which sent me rolling around, and because the other boats were more aware and handled it better, I got flagged.  Initially i thought the decision was unfair but from a jurers point of view I believe they made the right choice.

Doug
Prince Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 06 at 9:13pm
to be honest there are so many different interpretations of rule 42 that it's really mostly down to the on-the-water unpire's discretion.  From spending a time in the optimist national squad i can safely say that i am rule-42d out and that all those long lectures about all the ins and outs of it probably only served to confuse me more.  It's very hard to draw a clean line on a rule like this but i personally feel i can get away with a fair bit of "dirty play" intentional or unintentional without anyone firstly seeing at a big regatta or even having to tconfidence to know it is unfair and yellow-flagging you. 
international moth - "what what?"
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 06 at 7:48pm
There's an interpretation of rule 42 either on the RYA website or the ISAF site (can't remember which one).

Edit

and here is the link

http://www.isaf.com/default.asp?MenuID=7k,8GX28zoMoD~%60RtK/ DVn19FR9euJPH/kQBn8BUZWiKuHlPrzSjUP4Xz1q-c565?b6jeEm4oBIa5,3 P7xSYJ8,,E~?%604AIKV0h0aCYmg

Edited by Garry
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
boatshed View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote boatshed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 06 at 5:47pm

Whats the situation with this rule ?  Watch a fleet of Lasers ( I'm not picking on Lasers but they have big fleets and are usually bunched up, so, easy to observe) running or reaching and many are using kinetics to help them along.  At what point do they infringe Rule 42 ? 

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply