FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Second Hand Boats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Always last View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Always last Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Hand Boats
    Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 10:23pm

Hi there,

First time user!!

I have been sailing for a little over two seasons now, and always last isnt quite right, but i now feel that sailing a club boat is holding me back, as it prevents me altering anything of the setup, or buying newer sails for the boat which were measured in 1969!!!

Myself and my girlfriend sail on a 2.5 mile strecth of river in lincolnshire, which is often subject to slight and variable winds during the summer.  We wish to move out and purchase a boat which we can sail as our own, have learnt in graduates and enterprises. we are 22-23 stone combined crew weight, have not had much experience with a spin but would be willing to learn,

So looking for a 2 to 3 sail boat no trapeze as river is not the widest or spacious place to sail.  Will be looking to get involved in open meetings once having  few months experience in the new boat.  Local sailors any graduates and enterprises, a few GP14s. Loking for a few ideas, to point in the direction of which boats to try and book a test sail in the classes which you may point out!

cheers

Silverlode View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Silverlode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 10:32pm
You could consider a Scorpion.  There are a number at Notts County (gravel pit between Nottingham and Newark) and you might be able to get a trial sail there.   Good open circuit and social scene.
Scorpion 1995
Villan View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 10:56pm
National 12 - No spinaker but they do look good fun.

420 - You can sail them without the trapeze, and you then also have the option of trapezing if the wind is from the right direction and strong enough, or if you decide to take the boat somewhere.

Also, Have you got any idea of budget? New or 2nd hand boat? Wooden / GRP / etc?

Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 10:59pm
Several issues here. First it might be easier to identify the club you want to be a member of and then try the locally sailed boats and pick one of them. How large is your budget? I say this because if you're looking at the cheaper end of the market the sails will be just as bad as the club boat. Alternatively buy new sails for the club boat and use them instead of the club sails! No reason why you shouldn't set the club boat up correctly (although adding or moving fittings might require negotiaion).

You imply you are sailing an Enterprise at the moment, has the club got a fleet? If you don't want to change clubs then maybe you should consider your own Ent? Scorpion is a good conventional spinny suggestion, also worth looking at the Lark and GP14 for conventional spinnaker. Tasar or Enterprise no spinnaker, RS200 or Laser 2000 Asymetric. There are others but you want to try and find a class with an active class association as this tends to help resale value and give you lots of support / advice. If you want to go for minimal maintenace then some of the Topper range might be worth a look. A trawl through the Yachts and Yachting classes guide (comes with the dinghy show preview) If you're not in any rush then worth looking and talking to the class associations at teh dinghy show.

Worth remembering that the boat is not always the reason for poor performance, sometimes its the sailors (although I do agree old tired sails and controls that can't be adjusted on the water don't make it easy)! Does your club run racing courses, coaching? Would it be worth you going to an activity centre to do Start Racing or performance sailing?

Hope thats of some help, PM me if you want further info about courses or fancy trying a Lark.

Edited by Garry
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 06 at 6:32pm

My mate has a really nice National 12 for sale, I can send you pictures if you want, reckon he'll take £1200 for it. Very well kitted out and really nice wooden finish. PM me for details.

Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 06 at 10:04pm
RS 200, with a really active class association and consequently lots of open meetings all over the country, or the Laser 2000 sounds good if your willing to spend £3000+

Assymetric spinnakers are really easy to use and both boats sail well in a wide variety of wind strengths.
 Post Reply Post Reply