FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

£1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
ifoxwell View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: £1000
    Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 1:22pm

Ummm ok

14's

What do we need to look for in a good one in our budget? and didnt the rules change a while back... Whats hulls are quick which are slow etc

Ian

49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 3:37pm
If its river sailing and your club isn't doing windward leewards, I'd hate to say it, but bagging the kite on the 5000 is going to be nightmare in any decent breeze. I14 is probably the best bet, but on a larger river, you'd get away with the 5000.
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

m_liddell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m_liddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by ifoxwell

Ummm ok

14's

What do we need to look for in a good one in our budget? and didnt the rules change a while back... Whats hulls are quick which are slow etc

Ian

Major rules change in 1996 which is why there are quite a lot of cheap boats around. Be sure to get one with a carbon mast if you can, since 25ft of Al mast makes things a little more difficult I've heard. For this you will prob need to go for boats modified to the new rules but are now no longer competative. These are often cheaper anyway since they cannot race on the pennie circuit.

My 14 was £800. Modded to 1996 rules with carbon mast and mylar sails. A heck of a lot of boat for the money and awesome fun. Destroying 800s downwind in a boat costing 1/10 of theirs never gets old  

This ad looks like what you are after: http://www.international14.org/index.php?option=com_noah& ;Itemid=32&method=showdetails&list=advertisement& ;rollid=29&fromfromlist=classifiedscategory&fromfrom method=showhtmllist&fromfromid=1

Edited by m_liddell
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 7:25pm
I also know someone who is selling a nice 14 for about £1200, think its the last Howlett design made and it does have a carbon mast. Don't think the boat has been thrashed much and the seller was saying it wouldn't go too badly with a T-Foil knocked on the back. Don't know too much about the boat myself but can get contact details if you want.
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 06 at 11:24pm

Id certainly be interested in finding out more

Thanks

Ian

Hector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 06 at 2:12am

Have you seen this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/international-14-skiff-dinghy-boat-sai l-sailing-yacht_W0QQitemZ7248346687QQcategoryZ98955QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

I'd also consider a fireball - less manic than an I14 and probably cheaper to run.

m_liddell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m_liddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 06 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Hector

Have you seen this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/international-14-skiff-dinghy-boat-sai l-sailing-yacht_W0QQitemZ7248346687QQcategoryZ98955QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

I'd also consider a fireball - less manic than an I14 and probably cheaper to run.

That boat is overpriced for one that old, k1182 sail number.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234