FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 man boat for a big guy and wife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KennyR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 man boat for a big guy and wife
    Posted: 04 May 06 at 12:52pm

OK - I 'm actively looking for a new toy. The prospect of babysitting grandparents moving close to us raises the possibility of me and my wife going sailing together [at the same time!] for the first time in ages. I'm 110kgs and currently sail a Finn and a Star . We're looking for a good boat that I can helm and my wife [fairly normal size] can crew in, and still be competitive without me sinking the back end of the boat. My wife prefers not to trapeze [but to be honest she has never really tried?]

The 59er is the current favourite but doesn't seem too popular with the masses at the moment. We think the RS400 might be a bit, well, slow with me in it

What does the forum reckon the best boat to get then? Is the 59er worth buying [any for sale?]

MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 1:46pm
check out the subject all about 59ers on this forum, loads of good information amongst all the chat
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

Sumo View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sumo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 2:01pm
The 59er is a thing of beauty, but she can be a cruel mistress. The 400 on the other hand is like sailing a bucket!
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 2:43pm
How about and Opsrey or an FD, they carry weight very well and do seem to work well with mixed crews (heavy helm, light crew).

Paul
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 4:20pm
Dare I mention a Wayfarer?!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sumo View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sumo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by Rupert

NO

KennyR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 6:52pm

No Way! A Wayfarer is totally out of the question! This is meant to be for fun, otherwise we'll end up taking the kids and the mother-in-law!

59er sounds pretty cool. Next step will be to try and organise a test sail somewhere in the north of the UK and then probably try and find one.

Does anybody know what the PY is?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Rupert

I dont think ive ever heard such filthy language!!
combat wombat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote combat wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 06 at 9:05am

59er is your best bet mate, I've had some excellent "discussions" on the boat and its clear that there isn't another option.  No doubt its put together well and apparently is very comfortable to sail, and the kite makes for good fun.  Not many other boats will take your weight!

PYfor the 59er is 905, so its a quick boat without a doubt. 

B14 GBR 772
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 06 at 11:28am
Originally posted by KennyR

No Way! A Wayfarer is totally out of the question! This is meant to be for fun, otherwise we'll end up taking the kids and the mother-in-law!

Tee Hee! I think you've got a choice between 59er, Osprey and FD then, really!

Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>