FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS300 A-rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS300 A-rig
    Posted: 03 May 06 at 4:20pm
I know this may be a silly question but does the A-rig sail for the RS300 use the same mast as the B-rig sail??

Doug
carshalton fc View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 06 at 4:28pm
no they are different masts.
International 14 1503
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 8:24pm
Originally I understand the A rig mast was softer to allow it to depower, but later they just cut down the B rig mast and put the gooseneck in to suit! (presumably cos the A rig doesn't point, and a stiffer mast should hold the leach tension a bit better) You can hoist an A sail on a B mast, but you end up with a bit of bare mast sticking up, and I don't think it would be class legal. Incidentally, the top sections can be swapped, subject to the angle of the cut where they join. Alternatively, the B rig can be reefed, and ends up the same size (ish) as the A.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 06 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Rob.e

Originally I understand the A rig mast was softer to allow it to depower, but later they just cut down the B rig mast and put the gooseneck in to suit! .

I was under the impression that the difference in sail area was predominantly through a difference of the depth of the sail, i didnt realise there would also need to be a height variance in the masts also.......
Ah well

Thanks guys
Doug
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 06 at 8:30pm
Which one do you have? Mine was 318
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 06 at 11:18pm
I dont actualy own a 300 im afriad (certainly wouldnt say no), im asking for a friend who although i really do believe could handle the B-rig (she's better than she'll admit) would be much better suited to the A-rig due to her size.  Problem being that she loves the look of the 300 but one with an A-rig on the 2nd hand market seems to be a bit of a rarity.  And shelling out £800 on another mast aswell as having to buy the A-sail doesnt really inspire.  Its a shame really because i personally believe the 300 to be a BRILLIANTLY designed boat!!

Doug
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 06 at 6:26pm

Once you are used to the rig, it is very easy to de-power, and the B rig is almost certainly better. A rig boats do come up from time to time however, and I got my rig 2nd hand from LDC pretty cheap. Personally, I think the 300 has one of the best one design singlehander rigs ever made. Sadly, they probably made the boat a bit too demanding for that market: people don't expect to spend that much time learning a non trapeze boat. If it had a trapeze or an assy, no-one would be suprised that it needs a season to learn it, but people seem to expect to be able to jump straight into the 300, and unless you have appropriate experience, you can't! Take the time to learn a few simple techniques, and it ain't that hard, and the rewards are......well worth it!!

Lovely boat

Bryn_14 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bryn_14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 10 at 10:28pm
How much would it cost to get a B rig and sail do you guys think?
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 10 at 10:41pm
Bryn, the mast is not cheap fella, the sails are about £500, the mast just shy of a grand, unfortunately you have to buy both sections.  I would suggest you look for a boat with the B-rig already.  Not that there is much bloody difference between the two.
Bryn_14 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bryn_14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 10 at 10:23am
Thanks for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>