FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solo rigging - help for newbie please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
m4rk1e View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote m4rk1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo rigging - help for newbie please
    Posted: 04 Jul 04 at 9:09pm

I've just bought a Solo and would like some help with the rigging please.

The forestay appears too long to me - I previously sailed a Laser so didn't need to consider such things!

When the pin is in the tightest lowest hole and the shrouds are tensioned up the mast sits against the back of the hole in the deck. If the forestay was a little shorter the mast would sit in the centre of the hole?

The boat isn't new and looks like it's always been like that. Any ideas?

Please email me rather than via the forum to

m4rk1e@tiscali.co.uk

Many thanks

Garry View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 04 at 2:38pm

Have you tried the Solo class website?  www.solosailing.org.uk

I don't sail a Solo but there should be a way of applying rig tension although without a spreader I would guess the kicker plays an important role in bending the mast, since you don't have a jib there must be some other mechanism for this!  It would seem your forestay is too long but you need to check out a reasonably fast boat before taking the bolt croppers to it

I suggest you find a club with a Solo fleet. 

Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
ChrisJ View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 04 at 3:00pm

Where do you sail? What type of water? Which club?

At one time, Solo's sailed with a very loose forestay, as it helped to keep the mast flexible and allowed extra mast rake to be applied easily with the kicker. Whether they still do or not, I don't know. Whether you should keep the loose forestay or not will depend on where you sail, the age of the boat, the age of the sails, the way you sail (pinch vs go for speed), whether there are other Solos about etc etc.

m4rk1e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m4rk1e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 04 at 5:37pm

Thank you for your postings.

The boat is late 1970's I guess - sail no. 2871.

I haven't sailed it yet but I'm in North Wales where we've got a few lakes and the sea.

I think I need to visit the local dinghy parks and find a boat of similar age.

Many thanks.

Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 04 at 9:34pm
The Solo website suggests you put some tension on the forestay for anything other than light conditions to move the mast forward in the gate. If the forestay is so loose the mast is at the back of the gate then you could actually remove it!!!! However, the dynamics might change when you tighten the kicker - is the solo a class where you need to ping the mast to stop it inverting?
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 04 at 11:36am
Y=Y did an article on Solo tuning which explains why the rig is set up with low tension, and there is a posting under FAQ's on the solo web site. Basically, it says "set the forestay so the mast without sail is touching the back of the mast gate with the forestay just in tension."(Y&Y July23 2000)
 Post Reply Post Reply