FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topper Sport 14 - any good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 06 at 9:57pm
Not sailed one before but heard off of other instructors that the foils are too small for the boat, the rig is over-powered and the build quality is pretty poor. The centre I worked at replaced them for 2000s. Might still be worth looking into as they are fairly cheap.
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Philsy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Philsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 7:24am
Thanks for the feedback. Generally not looking good for a Sport 14...
Philsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Philsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 9:08am
Oh, although I'm opening myself up for a massive piss take, one thing that
puts me off the L2000 is the fact you can't use an outboard with it. With two
whinging sprogs in-tow, a motor could be useful on those days the wind
drops and stomachs are empty.

Sad, I know, but you'll all be there one day!

Edited by Philsy
Olly4088 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olly4088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 12:35pm
I heard that with every outboard you buy nowadays you get a free picnic hamper so you and use you boat as a floating picnic table
Phantom 1298
Philsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Philsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 12:44pm
[QUOTE=Olly4088] I heard that with every outboard you buy nowadays you
get a free picnic hamper so you and use you boat as a floating picnic table[/
QUOTE]

In which case the kids can eat on the go and we'd not need an outboard.
Prince Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 5:08pm
thats just way too much information now TT   But thats how i used to have to tough it!  Weren't we a hardy bunch back then
But as for Philsy......i think you should go ahead and get a sport 14 cos they're cheap, easy to handle, probably quite fun, and good for family sailing.  If thats what you want to do then i reckon the Sport would be fine.
international moth - "what what?"
Philsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Philsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 5:11pm
Dry suits eh? We used to have to sail naked and thank our parents for the
privilege....

Still, nice to see some positive comments on the Sport 14
timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 5:23pm
I've not sailed a sport 14 for ages, but I have sailed one... Was at sunsail a few years back and we didn't have any problem with it. If all you want is a cheap boat to sail with the family then I'd say its fine. Size wise i would have thought it would be a bit cramped for 4 people, but then again you get what you pay for. My uncle has a Laser Stratos which is ideal but, i would guess, way over your price limit (outboard mounting point and a blisteringly fast boat on handicap!) Have a go, if you like it, go for it!

Just remember, a boat is only generally considered bad when compared with something better! So if you don't need the best, more often than not, it will be more than good enough!!
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Granite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 6:57pm
I worked at a sailing school that had a sport 14 and I thought it was rubish.

We broke a couple of rudders in the first few months gave up on the topper replacements and made a wooden blade for it. the rest of the build quality was also poor the hull leaked badly.
The sails were crap it had a laminate jib which destroyed itself first time out in any wind. We generaly sailed it with 420 sails as they seemed to work better when it was windy.

the hull seemed very sensitive to heel and would steer the boat wildly if you let it heel at all down wind making it scary for  beginners.

the cockpit would fill up with water in light winds if you had three adults in is because the false floor was too low and after a capsize the cockpit would be V full and take ages to empty

still it is better than the sport 16.

If it doesn't break it's too heavy; if it does it wasn't built right
damp_freddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 06 at 8:27pm
Unfortunetly, these and the 16s replaced the trusty wayfarer for novice teaching. To give topper their fair go on two handers, the topaz is good for two kids or VERY small adults and is bomb proof..

My ideal route for someone with family...

wayfarer

laser 2000

tasar

29er
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>