FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For fun or for winning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Isis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For fun or for winning?
    Posted: 08 Mar 06 at 6:39pm
its all about fun in the end, no point in winning if your not enjoying it and you should sail whatever YOU want to sail be that 49er, 29er or Cherub...

Edit: whoops, did the C word slip out? sorry lads...

Edited by Isis
29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 06 at 6:37pm

to be honest we would definatly prefer to sail the 49er if it was for fun (they go like sh*t off a shiny shuvel when it isnt upside down- that when we will be sailing it lol) the 29er is a bit boring (slow) but as it is the youth class if we were to go for the racing side it would seem sensible to go through the youth process then move up into the 49er later.

carshalton fc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 06 at 6:31pm

having fun is the most important thing and if u enjoy sailing the 29er dont change!  i would recomend changing into a 49er if u want the racing side of it.  we have considered it before and being 16 myself i dont fancy my chances not cos of ability but just cos of lack of money personally.   good luck with what ever u do

Edited by carshalton fc
International 14 1503
29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 06 at 6:22pm

the 29er is generally a southern sailed boat and we are in the very north with the closest fleet with 8 boats about 2 hours away. to have any decent chance of going anywhere in the racing scene we will have to travel down to the southcost an awfull lot (approx 9 hours!). this is very hard as neither of us can drive and we rely on parents who have lives of their own. (probably more commitment than is possible)

we have 2 choices:

1. travel most weekends to other sailing clubs to train and race with other 29ers and hopefully improve our results steadily. (sailing for results basically)

2. Sell the 29er and buy a 49er, considering we are 15 turning 16 and both approx 65 kg and we sail on a very gusty lake this will be a challenge but also one hell of a laugh, we would travel a bit and do the nats and scottish skiff racing circuit, (not sailing for results but just to go fast and have fun!)

my question is; do we have a chance of doing well in our class or would it just be best to go for the more leisurely option? anyone got any advice?

cheers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678