FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’Repairing’ self-tapper holes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ColH View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Repairing’ self-tapper holes
    Posted: 18 Feb 06 at 12:01pm

I've got two holes which held a cleat with self-tappers but have lost their 'bite'. So I reckon I can drill the holes out fully and just fit bolts (75mm, if I can find M4's that long) - as long as I can get the angles just right.....

Or I could try to re-cut the holes: drill out extra-large and use fibre rawlplugs (with plenty of sealant!), or fill with epoxy and re-drill & tap. Not sure how well a self-tapper will cut into epoxy, though; figure it'll need a fairly wide pilot hole.

Anyone got any thoughts or alternative suggestions?

Col

Edited by ColH
Garry View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 06 at 11:39am
I would suggest drilling/cutting out a larger area and epoxying a hardwood plug in place. This can then either be drilled completely through and bolted or pilot drilled and self tappers used. If the wood you are drilling into is very thin you may want to cut a small rectangle out so you can fit an oversize slab of wood on teh inside then build the level up until flush.

Don't know if the attached diagrams are any help.

Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
CurlyBen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 06 at 12:36pm
I had a similar problem a while ago on my Laser, the screws that hold the mainsheet block also secure the toe strap and on a windy day one pulled out! Some slow setting Araldite (stronger than the quick setting stuff) did the job well, couldn't get as much as a creak from it and no movement whatsoever. I didn't drill big pilot holes but the screws were very stiff.
RS800 GBR848
Weston SC
 Post Reply Post Reply