FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hurricane 59

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
f18 paul View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote f18 paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hurricane 59
    Posted: 17 Feb 06 at 8:12pm

has the hurricane 5.9 comitee shot itself in the foot by allowing hurricane sx's to join the classic hurricane tt circuit?

will the two sail hurricane die out and is the sx version strong enough to carry on in its place

Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 06 at 8:30pm

As a previous 5.9 owner, I think not.  the 2 sail boat was a fantastic machine.  The 3 sail boat looks even better.  I think it will bring more people into the class as it's a cracking bit of kit.

Shot them selves in the foot.  No.  A good decision IMO.

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 06 at 12:07pm

Yes the move is a risk but i can see why it was done

the problem for the class was they were still getting high numbers at events and at the nationals (50 boats) but new boat sales had dried up

the sx has seen new boats ordered and I believe close to 50 boats have converted to the sx

the hurricane is a great boat and i believe the sx makes it into something really special as there is the choice of two completely different rigs on a smashing boat!

lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007
f18 paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote f18 paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 06 at 1:40pm
fair point i suppose but do you not think it will kill of the 2 sail mode therefore reducing the attendences at tt's, which would be ok if the sx is the best 3 sail cat on the market but with spitfires,tornados, and f18s around i doubt it is.
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 06 at 6:49pm

well there is still a 2 sail nationals, and to be fair fleet racing in 2 sail is great because you are sailing evenly matched boats, in mixed the 2 sail boat is dead in the water unless you use and sx rig.

oh and dont get me started on the py of a 5.9!!

lifes to short to sail slow boats!

RIP Olympic Tornado 1976-2007
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 06 at 6:51pm
From what I've heard, the SX rates the same as the 2 sail boat. The SX has a smaller jib but obviously the kite increases the sail area above the 2 sail mode. A few Hurricane sailors I knew said that using the conversion was a bit of a trade off, sacrificing upwind speed, ie smaller jib and extra windage off the shute for extra downwind speed. The kite basically allows for the boat to hit lower angles downwind and gets the boat to fully powered mode quicker. Seen 2 sail boats beat SXs so I reckon its dependant on conditions which boat comes off best. The SX does add an extra dimension to a great boat so I can only see it as a positive thing for the class. There was a previous kite conversion for the Hurricane, Sobstad Kite stored in a bag. The kite seemed awfully deep and knew of teams who made the conversion and then went back to the 2 sail mode because it was faster. However, the SX conversion seems well developed and comparing the 5.9 to F18s and Tornados seems an unfair comparision. The Hurricane is just as good a boat as the Tornado and F18, but has the advantage you don't have to spend mega-bucks to stay competitive.

Edited by 49erGBR735HSC
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 06 at 8:12pm

1, The SX does rate the same as the Std 5.9; this as you say is because the Jib is smaller (Old tornado size) and a few more lbs were added for the kite kit etc.

2, The boat (when it's windy is faster with the smaller Jib, when was sailing them there was actually discussions in reducing the size of the Jib to (old) Tornado size as overall the boat is quicker wirh the smaller sail.

3, Yes, there is a loss of upwind speed as you have all the extra string flapping around the mast and the pole in the way.

4, Re std Beating the SX, was this W/L courses?  I'd be surprised if so as unless it's survival time I would always want a kite to drive lower - also, where the crews of similar skills?

5, The old (bagged) kite was too full (I Had one and went for the flattest possible).

6, As for the comparisons with the Tornado, and the F18.  Consider, the Sx rates the same as the current F18 rating and is 2 feet longer - yes it's heavier, but generally I'd go for the extra length every time   

7, Finally, yes, you don't need to spend loads to have one. 

49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 06 at 8:45pm
Simon, I was just recalling from memory races at my club, it could be possible that the courses set for the cats were triangular and a bit too tight for the kites, sorry but don't recall properly
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 06 at 10:31pm

Originally posted by 49erGBR735HSC

Simon, I was just recalling from memory races at my club, it could be possible that the courses set for the cats were triangular and a bit too tight for the kites, sorry but don't recall properly

Dennis, Apols if the above came over agressive or having a go at you (today has not ben a good day).  Just wanted to state some facts ina  hurry. 

I think this is going to be a good thing for the 5.9; hopefully will re-vitalise the boat, get some new orders in (last time I spoke to Andy Webb The White's had agreed to build one set of hulls at a time, with Andy to fit them out etc).

If I had a spare 3K I would buy one just for long distance racing !

catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 06 at 11:10am

No need to apol to denis he talks a pile of pants sometimes .

I know the sx he speaks off rather well , it went so badly that 2 sail 5.9  sailor converted to sport mode with chute and is  now fully sxed up the rest at denis's club didn't and floundered in the sx's/sports wake ! .After the same sx's performance at Loch lomond and many sx's domination at Loch Ness there has been a prolifiration of sx's in Scotland and chute carring kite flying cats .

I don't recollect the sx getting beaten by two sails at Denis's club !,

The reason bagged spinnakers on 5.9s sports weren't popular was that they were a pain in the erse to get up and down - slow and not worth time penalty so weren't used on short course , but long course definately and faster !!!!!!

Once good chutes became available - only way to go !

Sx jib is actually substantialy smaller than a tornado jib , and over a 25 mile beat only proved to be 2 mins slower than a standard 5.9 , mega faster offwind !

Morale don't believe everything you read in forums ! , unless its from the horses mouth !!

The Sx is the "Dogs Bollox" and for one design spinnakered cat racing hard to beat , only spitfire can compete in that respect , but there oodles of cheap 5.9s about and still competitive.

Try one !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>