FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

renovating laser foils

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: renovating laser foils
    Posted: 16 Mar 23 at 3:55pm
Hi,
Given the cost of a new blade, I'd suggest you try a repair first...
I'd suggest buying some stainless steel self-tapping screws - various thickness, then drill into the rudder blade, making sure you have a reasonable thickness left for support.
Drill the holes a bit oversize for the screws, then fill the hole with epoxy resin (resin + filler) and insert the screw.

When it's all cured, start building the profile using epoxy resin (nice thick mix with the filler).

If you can get a couple of strips of plastic, you can use these to approximate the profile (stick the strip to the existing blade with sticky tape). Obviously, you'll be working with the blade horizontally!
When you have sufficient material, you'll need to sand it to the exact profile (start with 80 grit, then move to 120, 180, 300, finishing with 400 wet/dry).
Quick spray with white paint and you're done...
wolfram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 23 at 4:54pm
thanks for your reply. I now realise I was working with an incorrect assumption! The right angle triangle with sides 66mm and 203mm gives an anle of 70 degrees, not 78. the diagram in the ilcs rules makes it look 78 degrees. When i use the new angle, there is much less damage than I thought! i will still use your suggested method though!

Wolfram
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 23 at 8:38am
is is a new style GRP foil or an older one?
 Post Reply Post Reply