FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mast Passing the centreline after a tack.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nacnud_smada View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mast Passing the centreline after a tack.
    Posted: 20 Jan 23 at 12:46pm
Hi 
I was hoping someone could help me out, a few weeks ago i got in a chat about rule 42, and what is allowed and not allowed etc. 
A comment was made within the chat about after a tack as "long as the mast does not pass the centre line"....

I cannot find anything in the rules that talks about the mast passing the centreline... have i missed it? can anyone help shed any light on it??

Cheers 
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 23 at 1:33pm
Mast passes centre line of what?
Robert
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 23 at 1:35pm
Of the boat as its brought up right. 
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 23 at 2:36pm
Can't see how you would stop it passing vertical at least once, when you cross boat and sit down, think they must mean doing it repeatedly, that is propelling, unless you are trying to pop your battens, which you would do with mainsheet.

Edited by 423zero - 20 Jan 23 at 2:41pm
Robert
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 23 at 3:04pm
i thought the same. 
thank you ! 
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 23 at 5:01pm
I have a feeling that might be a phrase from American College sailing rules, which are strange and not altogether compatible with the actual RRS. The trouble with club discussions is that not all the participants may be aware they are not in line with the current state of the rules. Most of the major international classes issue guidelines on rule 42observance, and they are a good source fpr more detail than the bare text of the rule.
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 23 at 12:51am
This was once in the rules. Probably the mid eighties era.
It is still used in college sailing in the US.
Those guys really know how to roll tack and gybe, and often get away with it at the Wilson.

Andy
Andy Mck
GML View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 23 at 8:59am
If you haven't already done so, you should read the World Sailing Interpretations of Rule 42: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/Rule42InterpretationsMay21-[27359].pdf
Without knowing exactly what situation you are thinking about, ROCK 9 could potentially be relevant: "It is permitted to move the mast to windward of vertical at the completion of a tack or a gybe."

Edited by GML - 23 Jan 23 at 9:04am
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 23 at 10:08am
presumably to  stop to  80s/ 90s  Style  'Roll tacking  battles' as seen in the Ent and N12 fleets 
GybeFunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 23 at 9:05am
I remember back in the 80s/90s there was a rule or interpretation that the mast should only pass vertical once during a roll tack, I expect that is where your club mates are coming from and I would politely suggest they update their 30 year out-of-date rules knowledge. Do these people also call 'Mast abeam' when you try and luff them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>