FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just an Illusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mark Aged 42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Aged 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just an Illusion
    Posted: 22 Dec 22 at 9:23am
Was not aware of these insane boats until my You Tube feed started showing me. Just where do you start? 12 feet long and you sit in it??? Steer with you feet??? Spinnaker but no pole, just use your hands??? Helm weights corrected to 100kg??? This is inspired madness, I love it.
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 22 at 10:07am
Something about levelling the playing field regarding weight, mobility and fitness holds merit in my eyes. 
Dakota View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dakota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 22 at 10:51am
They are lovely little things , like miniature yachts.
A friend of mine got one a couple of years ago , he has Parkinsonís so was finding dinghys a little difficult. He loves it as it means he can race on a even footing in this clubs racing .

Edited by Dakota - 22 Dec 22 at 1:41pm
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 22 at 1:07pm
I saw them years ago on the Thames at Tamesis SC, looked great. I see there is a large fleet on the Isle of Wight but I imagine sailing them in the winter in solent chop you get every wave right in your face, not nice!
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 22 at 8:09am
Remember racing in them on the Serpentine during the ISAF conference back in the day Ö lunch at the Royal Thames Ö very civilized 
Happily living in the past
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 22 at 9:30pm
The front end of the Bembridge Illusion fleet is no pot hunters paradise. Graham Bailey, Mark Downer, Graham Sunderland etc. Probably the most competitive fleet in (/near) the Solent. 

And of course, they were designed y Jo Richards. 

Edited by Presuming Ed - 23 Dec 22 at 9:31pm
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 22 at 5:09pm
ďSorry dear, canít help with the present wrapping / potato peeling / kid wrangling. Itís Saturday. Got to go sailing! Yes, I know itís Christmas Eve, but itís still Saturday.
Promise I wonít go to the bar. Much.Ē 

The Q View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 23 at 3:37pm
There is also the:
international 2.4mR, the world wide class used for Paralympics.
Deception,
Millimetre,
And several others. There was even a Minature J class yacht of which a few were built.

They were mostly a result of people wanting Minature 12Metre America's cup boat back in the 1980s.

I wanted something similar, but for the Norfolk Broads, with a little more length to improve speed so I designed and built a boat of 16 foot. It's now steered by a lever each side of the cockpit, so what ever hand is free can steer I didn't get on well with foot steering. The jib has a club and is self tacking.

On this video the first shot shows her with the blue hull moored up before sailing at the club. Note that jib is temporary, hacked from a Kestrel
jib.
https://youtu.be/dE7A5xRXwmI
Still sailing in circles
The Q View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 23 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Presuming Ed

ďSorry dear, canít help with the present wrapping / potato peeling / kid wrangling. Itís Saturday. Got to go sailing! Yes, I know itís Christmas Eve, but itís still Saturday.
Promise I wonít go to the bar. Much.Ē†

We don't sail Christmas eve.

But do sail boxing day, and new years day, and every Sunday throughout the winter. https://www.sfsc.co.uk/ https://m.facebook.com/groups/534126070477495?group_view_referrer=search
This is at Horning Sailing club, where Horning SC including me, sail the rest of the year.
https://www.horning-sailing.club/
Still sailing in circles
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 23 at 3:58pm
I was really quite taken by this https://epoxycraft.com/projects/flying-10-lovable-dinghy-prize-winning-finish/

Toyed with getting a K1 but unsure about the lifting dagger & bulb concept. If having a mini keelboat feel like it should have a "proper" keel.

Only my idea, other opinions are allowed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>