FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tacking for an obstruction advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nacnud_smada View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tacking for an obstruction advice.
    Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 10:02am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 10:07am
Sorry that did not post 

question is. 

how far after calling for room to talk for an obstctuion does that call last.. 

boat a is sailing towards the island,.. there is weed in the area boat a calls -- tacking for an obstruction... boat b is further behined and to windward and does not need to give room as there is enough gap.. 

boat a completes tack sails a little. 

boat b now calls starboard  boat a slows down thinks hand on i can make that,, sheets in .... boat b has to avoid contact,.. boat a said he could not tack as he had just tacked for an obstuction. 

thank you again

Edited by Nacnud_smada - 05 Jul 22 at 10:07am
Brass View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 11:29am
On hearing Boat A hail for room to tack, Boat B must EITHER

* Immediately hail 'You tack', and give B room to tack and avoid her, OR
* Tack as soon as possible

B must do one of these things. B doesn't get to argue the toss with A. If B thinks that A shouldn't have hailed because of the conditions in rule 20.1, her remedy is to comply and protest.

After B's hail of 'You tack' or when B tacks, A must then tack as soon as possible. If she doesn't, again B may protest.

If Boat A hailed for room to tack and then tacked without giving B time to respond, then A broke rule 20.2(a), and B may protest.

Supposing B misjudged that she would have no need to take any action, responded 'You tack', then saw that A was on a collision course, B is required to give A room to avoid her.

If there is room for A to tack back towards the obstruction and keep clear of B, then B has fulfilled her obligation to give room.

If, as in your case, A came out of her tack slowly and had room to avoid B, at slow speed, then sheeted in and sped up, she was given room when she was at low speed, and B has fulfilled her obligation.

Now, when B on stbs has to take avoiding action, A on port has failed to keep clear and has broken rule 10.

If, once A has passed head to wind as she tacks away from the obstruction, she is so close to the obstruction that there is insufficient room for her to avoid B by tacking back, then B has to find some other way of giving A room to avoid her, for example by luffing, slowing, or tacking herself.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 11:53am
Thank you, Bass.
 appreciate your time.

What if when the hail for room there was no responce as boat b as b was so far away form A that B thought who is he calling for room from?

should have said (sorry was trying to get the first post our before a meeting)  the boats are very differnt in boat speed. boat a is a Phantom and boat B is a solo. (it might help with how fat they where apart)

thank you again.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 12:08pm
Couple of cases will help.

Case 113https://www.racingrulesofsailing.org/cases/2108?page=12

Answer 1
Yes. When a boat that is not adjacent to the hailing boat has heard the hail, and will have to respond before the hailing boat is able to tack, she is a "hailed boat" in the context of rule 20.2 and she shall respond accordingly.

And generally, all of
Case 54 https://www.racingrulesofsailing.org/cases/1775?page=6

If B actually does tangle with A, she's going to have a hard time convincing me she wasn't a 'hailed boat.

Edited by Brass - 05 Jul 22 at 12:11pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 12:22pm
If you have time its always good to review the various case books, which are basically worked examples, usually based on real protests.

For most of us they are too much to absorb at a sitting, but try looking up cases relevant to your problem.

https://assets.rya.org.uk/assetbank-rya-assets/action/directLinkImage?assetId=47809

https://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/CaseBookfor20212024withVersion2chgcorctnsand2022Supplement-[27838].pdf
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 12:41pm
Thank you ill look at them

I find it all rather fascinating.

So a hail for room. covers anyone within ear shot?

Sorry just looked, is the overlap important? eg does the boat need an overlap to call an obstuction

i dont think so...

Edited by Nacnud_smada - 05 Jul 22 at 12:47pm
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Nacnud_smada

Is the overlap important? eg does the boat need an overlap to call an obstuction[---]i dont think so...

He he,

Look at the answer from Case 113 I posted above.

What do you think 'adjacent' means?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 1:20pm
Haha,
Yes that what triggered it. i think that mean yes and overlap is needed?

if so am i right in thinking there has to be an overlocker for all of this to kick in?
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 22 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Nacnud_smada

if so am i right in thinking there has to be an overlocker for all of this to kick in?

How did sailmakers get into this?

But seriously, no, read all of the text I posted. It's about when boats are not adjacent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>