FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland vs Sea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Where do you prefer sailing?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [44.00%]
14 [56.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
tink View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland vs Sea
    Posted: 06 May 22 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Neptune

I presume some of you haven’t raced at stokes bay in a northerly if you think sea sailing can’t be shifty, or surfed down waves in Torbay, while inland is great challenge, the sea has is pretty damn awesome play to sail too

No,Stokes Bay, in a few months. I do love the extra dimension of waves, my only issue with the sea is they feel they have to use all of it. Long stable beats in a Radial are just a test of fitness, something I do need to improve. See you and the soon Musto soon
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 8:20am
Salt and sand are a pain, feel lazy and wait to rinse off....
Robert
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 8:50am
Both have their advantages and draw backs, esp for organised sailing - on balance for those time poor, then a local pond probably offers more 365 access than a coastal/tidal location; however it’s impossible to deny the purity and spirit of adventure sea sailing offers, especially when not racing
eric_c View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 8:52am
Are we talking about 'sailing' or 'dinghy racing'?

If you've got a good group of people to sail against in the right boats,then racing inland can be great and is often more reliable than on the sea. But aside from racing, sailing on flat inland water is a shallow two dimensional thing compared to the sea where you have waves and open space.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 9:06am
Contrary to the impression I seem to have given in the other thread (hopefully now corrected) I also like both. Great close, tactical, racing with flukey, shifty winds inland and big courses that let the Blaze stretch it's legs, steady winds and waves on the sea.
The racing at my inland club is pretty high standard and very competitive, the costal club ,much less so and most of the sailing is blasting or cruising in company with just half a dozen 'regatta days' a year.
Is one better than the other? No, they are just different.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 06 May 22 at 9:07am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Mark Aged 42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Aged 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 9:51am
The skill set is so different. Some of our top Solo sailors (Essex Yacht Club/Leigh-on-Sea Sailing Club) went to an inland Open meeting last autumn. Got destroyed! Chatting with one of our lads, he could not believe how good the local sailors were in picking the right place to be on the course, and boat tuning.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 9:58am
Mark 42. Ha ha, me also, "if you can sail out of this harbour" they said "you can sail anywhere"  errr no, moved to a big inland water in hill country. They are went over there while I went here and when I went over there they went here. Maybe I'm a little better now but the first ten years were humiliating LOL LOL LOL 
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 10:03am
TT. You've also put your sensible hat on. 
"Both have their advantages and draw backs, esp for organised sailing - on balance for those time poor, then a local pond probably offers more 365 access than a coastal/tidal location; however it’s impossible to deny the purity and spirit of adventure sea sailing offers, especially when not racing"   Thumbs Up

davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 10:39am
The quality of the racing and the camaraderie of the club are IMO far more important than the salinity of the water
Happily living in the past
sarg boland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sarg boland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 22 at 10:39am
Start sailing inland and then finish your education on the sea.  Its then horses for courses.
Fair winds
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>