FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another club closure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 50>
Author
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another club closure
    Posted: 05 May 22 at 12:25pm
I guess grants for sailing clubs are really important when there's a cost of living crisis and there are more food banks springing up....  Ermm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 3:00pm
A drop in the pond compared to the £350m a week the NHS is getting post Brexsh*t...
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 3:17pm
Not bad Food banks, NHS and Brexit, page three.
Robert
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

I guess grants for sailing clubs are really important when there's a cost of living crisis and there are more food banks springing up....  Ermm

Are there any particular sporting activities where it is acceptable to receive grant aid, or is it just sailing clubs that should be singled out?  And why stop there, why should Art and Culture be supported?

Happily living in the past
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 4:09pm
Would be a grey world if grants of any description were cancelled. Just because people have minimum income doesn't mean they can't enjoy culture, free to go to museums, sailing clubs receiving grants would probably accommodate someone with no money, but keen to learn to sail and remain a member. There is also a direct link between grants and jobs, every pound spent on subsidies is worth four pounds spent on military spending.

Edited by 423zero - 05 May 22 at 6:32pm
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by davidyacht

Are there any particular sporting activities where it is acceptable to receive grant aid, or is it just sailing clubs that should be singled out?  And why stop there, why should Art and Culture be supported?

Good point, socially diverse sports with low cost of entry like sailing should definitely qualify for a bail out (no pun intended)
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 4:48pm

It’s a little rich for you to use food banks as a reason why sailing clubs shouldn’t get grants when you fully support the all the policies over the last decade that made them necessary  Angry

Post what you want as a retort, as a know you will.  I will not comment on this subject again . 

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 5:06pm

You know my voting record Duncan?  I doubt it... but fair to say I've not voted for the sitting MP in my constituency but I've certainly contributed to keeping his horses warm at night.

edit: this isn't a dig at Lottery Funding or Conventional Grants for Sport & Culture...  more for emergency funding for businesses going to the wall due to response to Covid 19

I guess if some of you knew people who'd topped themselves because of it, you'd understand a little...  I’m sure Mid Warwickshire Yacht Club would have survived regardless.

Edited by turnturtle - 05 May 22 at 5:15pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 6:16pm

My experience was never a lack of desire, but simply one of time; especially as the family commitments grew.  Even the word sounds onerous: 'duties'.

Try explaining that to a non-sailing partner, it does sound rather ridiculous when compared to golf, fishing, cycling, 5 a side, cricket, bridge club....  

I used to think that “membership” of a club (any club, not just sailing) was an off putting thought - the commitment that that implies even if you aren’t clear exactly what that means.  Many people want a more casual relationship with an activity and don’t want to immerse themselves into the unknown. And I agree the term “duty” sounds unpleasant and like something from the time of rationing.  

However, I don’t know if it is me getting older and finally being prepared to accept that I have settled roots, or whether it is a new found camaraderie from the strange covid times, but I now really appreciate the societal impact of community clubs.  I now no longer view clubs and membership as an antiquated business model but as a desirable feature that really adds value to the community and most duties are actually quite fun and rewarding (perhaps there is a better, modern, term for these?  Well-being day? Kindness day? Civic pride day? Ideas on a postcard!).
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 22 at 6:21pm
I don’t think there is room on this forum for a critique of Covid 19 emergency funding, save to say that there were many many less deserving recipients than sailing clubs imo, notably off the shelf limited companies and large public companies that continued to make profits through Covid.  Others may chose to differ …
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 50>