FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another club closure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>
Author
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another club closure
    Posted: 04 May 22 at 11:30am
https://www.suttoninashfieldsailingclub.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR2XBygmxLh_gGjuWiu64r6NrN7n4cr0m1KF3NAazFEXWCSMWy-SLRdoauo

Looks like Sutton in Ashfield SC have lost their battle with the local council and will be closing in September. It's been years since I sailed there but I remember it being quite unusual in being in an urban setting, friendly bunch though so it's very sad.
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 12:19pm
Very bad news, sailing clubs get very little consideration from council officials, they are like the majority of people who think we are all 'Toffs'.
Robert
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 2:31pm
Let's hope Ogston welcomes their members and has boat park space
The Q View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 3:00pm
Looking at  Ogston on the maps / earth view they have a ton of spare space..
Looking at their fees they are quite reasonable too, their membership fee is over 50% more than ours, but their berth fees are much less.
Still sailing in circles
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 3:08pm
It’s always sad when a club closes , I know from personal experience. But at least as TT pointed out ,there are at least options of other clubs not too far away . 
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 6:35pm
Small sailing clubs are at "one minute to midnight" from what I can see in West Mid's. What about other areas ?
Robert
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 7:08pm
I agree to a certain extent . Speaking as a member of a small club in the midlands , I don’t think it’s it’s a one minute midnight for us, more like 10 mins to midnight.  LOL.
The only good thing is when my club does go, it means more sailors for other small/medium clubs in the area like Banbury, Shustoke, Earlswood , Tamworth etc. None of us want the big club experience like Draycote . 

Edited by Grumpycat - 04 May 22 at 7:17pm
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 8:18pm
When I started sailing in the 70s there were 6 relatively local clubs, there are now 3 so club closures isn't a new issue so I guess we should treasure the ones that are left.

The local paper are saying that the council intend to kick Sutton in Ashfield SC off their site to allow a commercial water sports centre to be developed. Not for me, but perhaps it's the future.

https://www.chad.co.uk/news/environment/last-chance-to-enjoy-sailing-at-kings-mill-reservoir-as-sutton-club-launches-final-season-3655675
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 10:21pm
Even medium size midland clubs ( Carsington ) are struggling. Loss of members post Covid, lack of younger dinghy racers coming through to replace the oldies giving up, not really made up by the small rash of wing foilers and foil boarders, increased rent by the landlords etc etc plus the difficulty of getting people to help out with safety boats and race running...I guess people reckon they've paid a hefty membership fee and that should be that.

The answer (apparently) is to buy our way out of trouble by souping up the training division, running lots of courses and thereby getting in new members.

Not convinced it will work, but hope it does else were screwed ( and lumbered with lots of expensive ribs etc )

Meanwhile I was down at Bowmoore SC in the Cotswold water park last weekend. Tiny duckpond but 25 boats out ( fewer than usual apparently ) and lots of family groups staying the weekend on site. They got something right that we didn't!
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 22 at 11:42pm
It's no wonder that people think sailors are toffs, when World Sailing and most of the media (Y & Y being an exception) continue to try to throw the entire sport down an elitist wonderland rabbit hole where everyone can afford to sail a carbon foiler. It's not working, it will never work and none of the earlier elitist sailing models really worked, but it seems that actually looking at evidence is too hard for WS and much of the sailing industry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 50>